Riser Feeder supports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Ok, I know that horizontal feeders can be supported using individual supports or trapeze with threaded rod. If feeders are runs in a shaft vertically how are they supported? Thanks.

dicklaxt

There is a Kellem's Grip hanger that can be used or a double post (Don't remember the name but is used on Aviation Obstruction Light Towers) set up to offset cable by 90 degrees.

Vertical cable tray is another option with a tyrap on each rung and off set 90 degree fittings,copper expansion vs aluminum tray may also come into play.

All of the above needs to comply with cable supports in the NEC don't know the #'s,working from memory on this as usual.

dick

Volta

Oh, sorry I meant the supporting of conduits. You can't run riser feeders bare, correct?

I think that what Dicklaxt was pointing you towards was the need to support the contained conductors in addition to the raceway.

The raceway can be supported with strut clamps on Unistrut or similar, but don't over look 300.19.

dicklaxt

I really was only addressing the use of cable and not raceways as that was the original question and assumed the condition quoted was or had been approved,,,,,,,,

Exposed cabling in shafts or hoistways is very limited if I remember correctly.

A complete definition of "riser feeder" in question is called for here for a more definitive answer if allowed.

dick

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If feeders are runs in a shaft vertically how are they supported? Thanks.

You'll need some type of horizontal structural support to secure the raceways to. We would typically use some type of strut or steel run horizontally between the walls of the shaft. For large conductors run in vertical conduits within a shaft, the bigger problem is conductor support.

ohmhead

Support of riser

Support of riser

Well look at this support kinda normal with beeline and brackets we install these into deck above or below and use 1-1/2" beeline vertical beeline 18 foot .
If your in a shaft use l brackets or these.

100_1398.jpg

100_1765.jpg

100_1394.jpg

Last edited:

Cold Fusion

A relatively dumb question - I'm not familiar with the installation practices:
How are these installed? I went over the catalog pages. These look like they are designed to sit inside of the conduit at the upper termination. Which makes sense. They could be installed after the conduit and wire are in place.

The question: If used in the middle of a conduit verticle run, are they installed in a j-box as the wire is pulled in? Or maybe not used in the middle of a verticle run.

cf

ohmhead

A relatively dumb question - I'm not familiar with the installation practices:

How are these installed? I went over the catalog pages. These look like they are designed to sit inside of the conduit at the upper termination. Which makes sense. They could be installed after the conduit and wire are in place.

The question: If used in the middle of a conduit verticle run, are they installed in a j-box as the wire is pulled in? Or maybe not used in the middle of a verticle run.

Well not to jump on in but we used feeder plugs on risers .

But we have also used the kellems on risers in big boxes pull boxes they go on after but we use the pig blanket type which rap around conductors and you use the metal strip that comes with it to attach around conductors pull it tight your done .

It can drop into conduit before you snogg it up !Push it down pipe pull its done !

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
cf, I actually only added the link as horsegoer asked what Kellems were.
I have not seen a practical application of them in relation to his original question.

ohmhead

Has anyone heard of "chock bushing". I have heard this term used in regards to cable supports.

Well yes and no but its meaning is a bushing you install on conduit fitting and its there for the conductor sizes you have in conduit made to that size wire .Its a feeder bushing- wedgee- feeder plugs what ever you want to call it .

We used these on most of our projects

Last edited:

Cold Fusion

What is a "riser"?

What is a "riser"?

Second relatively dumb question:

What is a "riser"'

Interestingly, "riser' is not a term that comes up in my line of work.

From this site, I've seen three different uses.

"Riser" is a vertical run of conduit/conductors. It's often associated with the service vertical conduit. This seems reasonable - I got it

"Riser Diagram" shows vertical and horizontal conduit/raceway/conductor routing between the equipment. Maybe slang, but I still got it.

"Riser Diagram" used as a descriptor for a conduit/raceway/conductor routing diagram between equipment that attempts to describe how the equipment is functionally connected. This one baffles me a bit. One would normally use a "one-line diagram" for this.

Are these correct deffinitions?

I'm not kidding, this term just does not come up.

cf

Last edited:

Volta

Second relatively dumb question:

What is a "riser"'

Interestingly, "riser' is not a term that comes up in my line of work.

From this site, I've seen three different uses.

"Riser" is a vertical run of conduit/conductors. It's often associated with the service vertical conduit. This seems reasonable - I got it

"Riser Diagram" shows vertical and horizontal conduit/raceway/conductor routing between the equipment. Maybe slang, but I still got it.

"Riser Diagram" used as a descriptor for a conduit/raceway/conductor routing diagram between equipment that attempts to describe how the equipment is functionally connected. This one baffles me a bit. One would normally use a "one-line diagram" for this.

Are these correct deffinitions?

I'm not kidding, this term just does not come up.

cf

Yup, they all sound right. To that I would add a vertical shaft or area for mechanical systems to be installed. I would expect it to pass through more than one floor, but would also loosely call a single floor penetration a riser.

If used to describe a particular section of a building, I would expect no solid barrier from floor to floor if a riser shaft, maybe a metal grate to walk on. But if there was a solid concrete floor on each of a series of stacked mechanical closets, I would accept that too.

iwire

Staff member
What is a "riser"'

It is used in the NEC to describe cables used for passing vertically through the building. See 725.154(B) 2008 for an example.

Yeah

Most of the prints I see will call this page the 'One line riser diagram' or just the 'riser diagram'.

The exceptionally handy page to see how the feeders and equipment will be connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.