Dishwasher outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Fair enough.:)

How about a receptacle installed behind a flat screen TV that is bolted onto the wall?

Chris

Where is the specific requirement for that TV to have an accessible disconnecting means as a DW has?

Where are the exposed live parts on that TV?

iwire

Staff member
I understand why you may require that the outlet is accessible...How many times is the d/w serviced in place? It would seem to me that they would remove the d/w to service it.

So you figure if the electronics on the door need service the Maytag man will pull the unit out from the counter?

M. D.

110.3(b) ,... The dishwashers I've installed in compliance with 422.16(b)(2) Have all instructed me to mount the attachment adjacent thereto . Not sure how many but it's a bunch and all of them have located the attachment adjacent to the space occupied. this is from one such set of instructions.

The electrical outlet for this appliance must be:

Located to the right or left of the cutout, in an adjacent
cabinet, so that the power plug can be disconnected
without removing the dishwasher.

Last edited:

glene77is

Mr. S.,

IMO,
Your Plug / Receptical, which is the Disconnect, should be "Within Sight".
Placing the "disconnect" behind the appliance voids the ability to "lockout".
"Accessibility" aims in this same conceptual direction.

In order to repair this appliance,
you must open the cabinet,
and then you have exposed live parts.

IMO,
The Disconnect should
(1) be Accessable,
(2) be Locked Out,
(3) be Within Sight.

Last edited:

glene77is

Put the damn thing under the sink
where you can troubleshoot it.

I had a service call where
(1) the Appliance Repairman tested the Dishwasher/Disposal MWBC
and found 240Volts.
(2) He packed up and went home.
(3) The HO sent for me.
(4) This receptical needs to be under the sink for trouble shooting.

frankft2000

Is the partition between the dishwasher and sink bays considered a wall? Drilling a hole through it for the cord to plug into under the sink could be considered a code violation. I say the safe thing is that in the next code cycle they just ban dishwashers! lol

frankft2000

First of all I put my receptacle under the sink.

BUT the NEC does not define a wall. The NEC in article 400 says flexible cords are not allowed to run through walls. I think a inspector COULD red tag this if they considered the barrier between a dishwasher and a sink a wall.

electricmanscott

First of all I put my receptacle under the sink.

BUT the NEC does not define a wall. The NEC in article 400 says flexible cords are not allowed to run through walls. I think a inspector COULD red tag this if they considered the barrier between a dishwasher and a sink a wall.

This is some real wacky thinking.

Jim W in Tampa

I had a service call where
(1) the Appliance Repairman tested the Dishwasher/Disposal MWBC
and found 240Volts.
(2) He packed up and went home.
(3) The HO sent for me.
(4) This receptical needs to be under the sink for trouble shooting.

If he does not know more than that i am glad he packed up and i would not pay him.

John120/240

For diswasher recptacle it always goes under the sink with hot tab broke
to serve disposal. For icemaker or trash compactor or wine chiller the recptacle would end up behind the appliance.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
For diswasher recptacle it always goes under the sink with hot tab broketo serve disposal. For icemaker or trash compactor or wine chiller the recptacle would end up behind the appliance.

I do the same as far as installation, personal preference, but could you back that up with a code section? At least the "Always" part. :D

macmikeman

You say this as if it is fact.

I happen to believe a receptacle is best by far. It is a disconnect and you don't have to wait for the plumber to install the dw.

Ok then each to his own....:) By the way, are you using any flexible cord whip or are you using one that is listed to go onto your particular dishwasher by the manufacturer and part of the dishwasher listing? Would that be a requirement we would also need to be concerned with if using a whip on dishwashers?

John120/240

The only reason to place the recptacle under the sink is the length of disposal cord. For the Ice maker, trash copm,wine chiller sometimes the recptacle might be behind drawers in the adjacent cabinet.

Behind drawers can be a PITA to install recptacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.