Dishwasher outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I've got to side with Bob on this one. I've worked on more dishwashers than I have wanted to and some are not that easy to slide out (often do to the plumbers install method). Also, rather than risk floor/cabinet damage it is often better to work on them without removing them.
If the receptacle/plug can not be reached by removing the "kick plate" I don't consider it accessible for servicing.

raider1

Staff member
I've got to side with Bob on this one. I've worked on more dishwashers than I have wanted to and some are not that easy to slide out (often do to the plumbers install method). Also, rather than risk floor/cabinet damage it is often better to work on them without removing them.
If the receptacle/plug can not be reached by removing the "kick plate" I don't consider it accessible for servicing.

So as an inspector you would not pass an installation where a receptacle is installed behind a dishwasher.

Chris

One-eyed Jack

So as an inspector you would not pass an installation where a receptacle is installed behind a dishwasher.

Chris

I can't speak for Augie but I would not. Consider a condensing unit with the disco mounted inside. You must remove the fan guard and/or fan to gain access to the disco. This is not accessible and I did not have to move the unit,disconnect the line set or remove as many screws to get to it.

Last edited:

One-eyed Jack

Chris

Fair enough.:)

How about a receptacle installed behind a flat screen TV that is bolted onto the wall?

Chris
I have not seen one of these yet. When I do a final no furniture,TV's,etc is allowed in the house. I would seriously consider turning it down. My flat screen is bolted to the wall and I have access to recpt. But,I was the AHJ.:D

badabing

I must say, that the one time I did put a receptacle behind a dishwasher was in the first house that I did that had Spray foam in the walls. Of course the dishwasher that the home owner picked out had a pretty much Solid back with no where for the outlet to be located behind it. So after about an hour of chopping sheetrock and all that foam to notch it over to under the sink where I always had placed them in the past for ease of accessibility I swore that it would be the last time I put a receptacle in the space where the dishwasher would go!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

Chris

I will pass it if they have a "breaker lock" :)
This same question came up among regional inspectors last week and 3 that I asked would not pass the "behind the DW outlet".

220/221

Would a recepticle mounted at 18" aff behind the dishwasher satisfy the accessable part in
422.16(B)(2) and 422.33(A)

Maybe accessible but not very bright. Put the damn thing under the sink where you can troubleshoot it.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Why all the fuss and wanting to reinvent the wheel ? Just put the dang power source under the sink with the disposal power source like all the millions of electricians have done before.

Quite often, the dishwasher is in an island, peninsula, etc and not right next to the sink.

macmikeman

Here is what nobody else mentioned yet (I think...:) ) . Sometimes you have to do a bit of jackhammering to remove a broken or non functioning dishwasher because it is installed and then thick floor tile is layed in front of it. Mexican tile, marble, travertine, granite, slate are all examples of such thicker tile. If that type of thick tile is put in before the dw is installed then they have to build up the height of the countertop to match the rise in the floor, and many builders do not want to spend on extra plywood and bullnose to do that. So the d w is "built" into place and you cannot slide it out. So now what do you behind the d w crowd say about that. By the way, it is not all that uncommon to see that done. Like I said, switch under sink is best, and after that receptacle under sink is far behind but second best....

Jim W in Tampa

It is similar to a range having a receptacle behind it but with a major differance. The range has a drawer on bottom that pulls out to get to the plug and also requires no tool to slide it out and no water line or drain that just might make it a 15 minute job. Only thing that will stop this bad habit is for inspecters to tag it.
But thats hard on them because they can not see where your receptacle is so now they must remove the kick plate or just trust you.
Lets here from our inspectors how they handle this on final.

Status
Not open for further replies.