Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoke detectors and Ceiling fans

Smoke detectors and Ceiling fans

I was informed by an inspector per NFPA72 Tip ofCeiling fan blade must be 3 feet away from smoke detectors. Just thought I'd pass this on, It's the first I ever heard of it....

Quote Originally Posted by scottam99 View Post
    I was informed by an inspector per NFPA72 Tip ofCeiling fan blade must be 3 feet away from smoke detectors. Just thought I'd pass this on, It's the first I ever heard of it....
    That requirement is also part of most single station smoke alarm installation instructions.

Also remember to keep the alarm 3' away from any supply or return grills or bathroom doors.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by raider1 View Post
    bathroom doors.

Chris
    Chris, what's the logic there? Moisture?
    Tom

" And all the science I don't understand, it's just my job five days a week "

Quote Originally Posted by A/A Fuel GTX View Post
    Different Chris, but yep, moisture. Steam from the shower can trigger false alarms and/or cause internal corrosion. Or so I'm told...
    Chris Knight
    Syracuse NY

Quando omni flunkus moritati

Quote Originally Posted by A/A Fuel GTX View Post
    Yep.

Chris

The 3' rule from fans return grills and vents is because it would keep the smoke from getting to the detector.

I did not know there was a rule from bathrooms but it makes sense. I had a customer who would steam up the bathroom so every time he showered it would set off the alarm. Apparently the steam ionizes the air and sets it off.

Mostly it just that any heavy air flow would keep smoke awa. Rule has been inforced here for many years. Can be a real pain sometimes in bedrooms if you are there first and then Mr AC screws it up. All part of why yo need to look at all the pages. One of you will be moving.

I would figure you would need even more distance if using one of these http://www.bigassfans.com/ :grin:

Jim

[QUOTE=Dennis Alwon;126562 I did not know there was a rule from bathrooms but it makes sense. I had a customer who would steam up the bathroom so every time he showered it would set off the alarm. Apparently the steam ionizes the air and sets it off.[/QUOTE]

Also, with the ionization type dectectors, burnt toast or bacon will set them off. That's why NFPA 72 requires they be installed no closer than 20' to a cooking appliance unless equipped with a silencing feature.

Quote Originally Posted by raider1 View Post
    That requirement is also part of most single station smoke alarm installation instructions.

Also remember to keep the alarm 3' away from any supply or return grills or bathroom doors.

Chris
    If I remember correctly, the wording of the code is "forced air supply"; I do not interpret that to include returns also.

A few years ago I was the EC on a resi development where most of the floorplans made it impossible to keep 3' from the hallway return and keep within distance on the required smoke detector outside the bedroom doors. Just pointing out these situations do exist.

If they meant returns also, then it should be specifically noted.

My simple mind concludes that a return will draw smoke towards the smoke detector if it is placed in the vicinity.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr. ©