SE Cable Bushing

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the Code it states that when SE Cable is used, bushings are not required with connectors or fittings when conduit is used. Anyone know of the reference I seek?

iwire

Staff member
The only requirement for insulating bushings involves conduit and tubing only.

NM / SE sheaths must extend past the connector, I believe that is the protection.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
The only requirement for insulating bushings involves conduit and tubing only.

NM / SE sheaths must extend past the connector, I believe that is the protection.

So if SE cable is run inside a conduit and the sheath extends beyond the connector, a bushing would not be required?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So if SE cable is run inside a conduit and the sheath extends beyond the connector, a bushing would not be required?
Not sure I would agree with that although I think it would be protected. I just don't think the code supports that. I agree no bushing is necessary for se cable with connectors.

hotwire1955

I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the Code it states that when SE Cable is used, bushings are not required with connectors or fittings when conduit is used. Anyone know of the reference I seek?

If you'r using a raceway and the conductors are 4 AWG or larger install a bushing ,way take the chance you get a call back because the inspector wants one, the cost of a bushing is better then rework

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
If you'r using a raceway and the conductors are 4 AWG or larger install a bushing ,way take the chance you get a call back because the inspector wants one, the cost of a bushing is better then rework

Agreed.........but curious minds want to know:cool:

cpal

I think technically you are correct but I would not want to have to fight this one.

300.4 speaks of conductors not cables but ......

(If the cabel is in a raceway) the No. 4 AWG, conductors should be protected by a substantial fitting providing a smoothly rounded insulating surface. unless separated from the fitting or raceway by insulating material securley fastened in place?????

Uhmmmmmmmm,
Use a insulatng bushing or are thgey really that expensive???

hurk27

I have had this discussion on here before, but it was about whether or not EMT was included in this requirement, my argument was 300.4(G) ( (F) ) in 2008
states:
Where raceways containing ungrounded conductors 4 AWG or larger enter a cabinet, box enclosure

Which means that the raceway enters the box, it must have a bushing if the conductors are #4 or larger, the only raceway that does enter a box is RMC, and very often can have a sharp burr inside of it when cut, EMT on the other hand does not enter the box, the fitting does, and most EMT fittings have a well rounded lip where the conductors exit the fitting.

But this is only an opinion, so hammer away:grin:

cpal

I have had this discussion on here before, but it was about whether or not EMT was included in this requirement, my argument was 300.4(G) ( (F) ) in 2008
states:

Which means that the raceway enters the box, it must have a bushing if the conductors are #4 or larger, the only raceway that does enter a box is RMC, away:grin:

I like your train of thought but the language currently reads

"(G) Insulated Fittings. Where raceways contain 4 AWG or larger insulated circuit conductors and these conductors enter a cabinet, box, enclosure, or raceway, the conductors shall "

Status
Not open for further replies.