Man hours for a 200' pull

Status
Not open for further replies.

satcom

Nothing. That's book labor unit.

The books and programs, usually have a choice of different job conditions, and non productive activity, to apply the correct labor units, after we get those figures, we compare it with the job actual data, to get a number.

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
With the right equipment, it could be done with one guy in less than and hour.

Seriously, I have seen it done. But the stuff they used must have cost big bucks. They had a reel feeder that could either be controlled locally, or could run on auto. As soon as the machine sensed the tugger, it not only would feed, but would activate an automatic lube feeder. Everything, even the tuggers, were designed with good wheels and could be moved anywhere in short notice. All the long pulls were done in rapid succession using this gear. When the pulls were done, the gear was picked up and went somewhere else.

In the real world, however, I remember doing a 185 foot pull in 2 inch, 4 #2s. From start to finish there was easily 8 man hours in the pull. 2 guys for the duration and a third to assist on the pull end.

Sure, there may be times when everything flies just right and a 200 foot pull gets done in a couple hours, but when you look at the big picture I don't think 7 or 8 hours is outlandish.

ksmith846

I have 8 man hours per 1000'.......8/1000 = .008/ft

200ft run X 3 legs of #4 THHN = 600 feet x .008 = 4.8 man hours

This is figured at labor level 1

Level 2 and up would obviously take more

cdslotz

We usually figure a "labor 1" column to stay competitive.
Unless a run has a unique difficulty, I don't factor anything throughout the bid.
I look at the difficulty/risk factors when I summarize a job.
Rarely do we lose labor on wire pulling. In fact, we beat the pulling labor consistently

ksmith846

I look at the difficulty/risk factors when I summarize a job.
Rarely do we lose labor on wire pulling. In fact, we beat the pulling labor consistently

Ditto........and I agree with labor level one for these tough times....the guys just have to work faster. I figure if I have to chop some hours on a bid to get a job for them to work.....then they can realize how lucky they are to be employed right now and work harder so our lower #'s can still work.

pgordon

Occupation
Electrician
TNE
10 man hours per KLF
3 #4 al use 200' = 6 man hours

These costs include fishing string, reel set-up, pulling gear set-up, phase identification, pulling compound, layout, material handling, and normal waste. Add for splicing, anti-oxidation compound, sales tax, delivery, supervision, mobilization, demobilization, cleanup, overhead and profit. Note: The figures for XHHW wire assume that wire is pulled in conduit runs of 100 feet or less and that three conductors are pulled at the same time.

satcom

Ditto........and I agree with labor level one for these tough times....the guys just have to work faster. I figure if I have to chop some hours on a bid to get a job for them to work.....then they can realize how lucky they are to be employed right now and work harder so our lower #'s can still work.

The different level is in there for a reason, and it is not to adjust a bid, it is to adjust how difficult the task is, and all the other factors, such as the sales tax, delivery costs, supervision, mobilization and, demobilization, cleanup, overhead, and profit all have to be added to that level price. PGORDON is the only one that noted this in his post, and explained how he arrives at a figure.

Last edited:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Just pulled 210' of wire today. Pull consisted of four #6 AWG, 1"PVC, five LB's, eight 90's, two offsets, one transition to seal tite.

Clock started when fish tapes began being shoved in the pipes, clock stopped when wires were cut free from end of last pull.

Two men one hour and fifty minutes.
Time included setting up the reels, but not breaking anything down or making up.

Had this thread not been going on right now I doubt I would have looked at my watch. I was surprised at how smooth things went, but heaven smiled on us in a reverse sort of fashion - a large cloud moved over the sun when we were taping up the wires on the first piece of mule tape.

Sometimes things go your way.

cdslotz

Just pulled 210' of wire today. Pull consisted of four #6 AWG, 1"PVC, five LB's, eight 90's, two offsets, one transition to seal tite.

Clock started when fish tapes began being shoved in the pipes, clock stopped when wires were cut free from end of last pull.

Two men one hour and fifty minutes.
Time included setting up the reels, but not breaking anything down or making up.

Had this thread not been going on right now I doubt I would have looked at my watch. I was surprised at how smooth things went, but heaven smiled on us in a reverse sort of fashion - a large cloud moved over the sun when we were taping up the wires on the first piece of mule tape.

Sometimes things go your way.

Like I said, wire pulling is a task we rarely run over on. We consistently pick up labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.