800 amp Residential Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

gigawatt

what size AL conductors XHHW should be used for 4 parallel runs to a CT and on to 4 200 amp disconnects in a residetial service? And since "the lugs are only rated for 75 degree C" can 90 degree C conductors be used to increase the ampacity for a smaller wire size?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
what size AL conductors XHHW should be used for 4 parallel runs to a CT and on to 4 200 amp disconnects in a residetial service? And since "the lugs are only rated for 75 degree C" can 90 degree C conductors be used to increase the ampacity for a smaller wire size?

90C can only be used for derating. The ampacity is determined by the weakest link which is the 75C terminals.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
WOW, it really took a 1200-amp service? That's not a home, it's a hotel, lol.
Well the entire estate was fed from the 1200 amp service. The house had 600 amps for a 7,000 sq. ft home- probably 400 amps would have worked but originally it was all electric heat. There was a 4,000 sq.ft car museum with a 400 amp feeder. A huge conservatory that was conditioned- 200 amp feeder. A swimming pool with cabana- kitchen and all- 200 amps. Tennis courts and gazeebo-- 200 amps and a utility type garage where the generator and panels hid. In all there were, I believe, 13 heating/cooling systems on the estate- not counting the hydro floor heat in part of the home.

When I wired the museum we used a graphic eye system. The dimming panel alone cost me $13,000. I think the entire museum with 400 amps 3 heating systems and about 60-- 8' tracks with a 150 or so heads, ran about $90,000. And he got off cheap.

I think I got it all. :grin:

iwire

Staff member
WOW!

[SIZE=""]
Kind of makes me feel poorer than I already am. :roll:[/SIZE]

Indoor pool, large Gym, teenager lounge with pinball and video machines, wine room, large home theater for many guests, gentlemens lounge, seven bay garage and mechanical spaces. That was the lower level, I never made it up to the other floors. :roll:

I know the mudroom had a shower stall designed for the dogs, nicer tile than most folks have in a master bath. :roll:

Jim W in Tampa

Looks like the cheap way out would be 4 conduits of 4/0 unless he gets into derating when they pass through the CT.
Not sure if material wise and labor if thats cheap way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.