Insurance for Master Electrican

Status
Not open for further replies.

solis

Does anyone know where to start getting insurance when you are signing on as the master electrician in multiple states? How much, what types? what does it cover?

mgookin

You need to start by finding out what each state requires, then go to an agent and ask for quotes to meet those requirements.

Customers, particularly larger ones, may (will) require coverage in excess of the minimum required by the state, and may want to be Certificate Holder or Additional Insured.

chris1971

Does anyone know where to start getting insurance when you are signing on as the master electrician in multiple states? How much, what types? what does it cover?

Your best bet would be to check with the state or states you'd like to do business in and see what sort of requirements the would require for insurance.

solis

I guess I was asking if there anyone in the situation where, for their company, they have taken tests, signed on for licenses for their company where they are either the administrator or master electrician who can be held personally and/or professionally liable for any incidents, and if so what insurance is available.

mgookin

I guess I was asking if there anyone in the situation where, for their company, they have taken tests, signed on for licenses for their company where they are either the administrator or master electrician who can be held personally and/or professionally liable for any incidents, and if so what insurance is available.

A buddy of mine has everything through State Farm and he gets a personal liability of $1MM or more for so cheap he says it's about free. The catch is he had to give them both business and personal accounts. That was 15 years ago.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

Do you own the company?
If no you should find out what the requirements are for the master of record in the states you're licensed in.
And they should be looking for insurance to protect you. After all you're taking the risk.

solis

I don' own it. And I am taking the risk. have let it drift, not good. Trying to be proactive and am having the discussion this week with the owner regarding coverage for the liability I have undertaken. I am involved in the company but there are too many guys and too many stated to really have a complete handle on it.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I don' own it. And I am taking the risk. have let it drift, not good. Trying to be proactive and am having the discussion this week with the owner regarding coverage for the liability I have undertaken. I am involved in the company but there are too many guys and too many stated to really have a complete handle on it.
It seems to me you should start with an insurance agent or maybe two and then come here and check the veracity of what they tell you instead of the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.