switching location

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Good afternoon all, anyone ever heard of an issue locating a switch OUTSIDE a door for the bathroom lights?

Is this because you have too many switches to put all of them in the bathroom? Or you think they can't be in the bathroom due to the location of the tub/shower?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Good afternoon all, anyone ever heard of an issue locating a switch OUTSIDE a door for the bathroom lights?

You could legally put the switch in the basement if you wanted to. The code does not specifically address where to locate switching for lights.

raider1

Staff member
I agree with Dennis,

There is no code section that requires a switch to be located within the bathroom. If you so choose you could put the switch in the attic.;):)

Chris

Thanks Guys, thought so. As a FYI the entire bath is being uitlized as a steam shower and that would be the reason to locate a switch outside the door.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
There are, I believe, some local building codes that explicitly require that. I never understood why. I know I have seen that in many hotel rooms. I suppose there is something to be said for making sure the lights are on, before you step into the room, and not making the user feel around in the dark to find the light switch. But I don't agree with that philosophy.

For my part, and especially in the case of the master bathroom, I think it a matter of courtesy to enter the bathroom, close the door, then turn on the light (reversing the process on your way out), so as not to disturb any other person in the room with a sudden light in the face.

Jim W in Tampa

I have seen it but never done it. If NEC was to add anything smart (not likely) It would be to say the switch needs to be in the room with the light with perhaps a few exceptions where that would not be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.