Standby Generator Life Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMeni

We are changing out a Standby Generator at a Fed. Gov. Clinical Health Care Facility. We discovered the the Fire Alarm Control Panel via the Fire Suppression System Flow Switch starts the Generator when the Sprinkler System is activated. I have never run into this start control feature before. Is this Building Code Requirement or NEC Code Requirement??

yucan2

I've never heard of that either.

Just out of curiosity, does a transfer actually take place or does the generator just get up to speed, running and awaiting a possible power outage?

KMeni

I believe transfers only takes place when you lose normal power. We traced out the FA circuit back to the FACP. Verified with the base Fire Chief. FA Circuit terminates on 24VDC Mini Relay Pack one the Generator Start Circuit in the ATS. The Fire Chief told my Electrician, that when they do an inspectors test on the sprinkler system the generator starts up.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Does sound interesting, but I agree, not required.

If the field wiring between the generator and an ATS got damaged by a fire, the generator would have already started. Is there a large distance between the generator and ATS?

But on second thought that doesn't make any sense - the same fire would kill the power wiring between the generator and the ATS. The only way I see this as making sense is if the power wiring is somehow protected in a way that the start wiring isn't.

Steve

KMeni

As a follow up, being that this Fire Alarm/Life Safety Circuit is active and functioning. Can it be delete or does it need to remain functioning as part of the original Fire Alarm/Life Safety System? No upgrades or modifications to the Fire Alarm System within project scope of work. Contractor concerns are, modifications to original Fire Alarm System without Fire Marshall Approval is a code violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.