Supporting a guat

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARCTICSKI

I viewed an 1 1/2" GUAT being supported by three, reduced size conduits, ie. 2 @ 3/4" & 1 @ 1.0 ". Proper reducers were used and each conduit is supported within 3' of this GUAT..It is strictly being used as a JB / PB, without luminaires etc. Is this installation proper, based on the 2008 NEC? Were there any other recent NEC Codes ( 2002 / 2005) that would have made this installation improper ? If this were a Conduit Body vs a GUAT, would this installation be acceptable ? The IFC drawings show this installation, as I described.

Last edited:

mcclary's electrical

I viewed an 1 1/2" guat being supported by three, reduced size conduits, ie. 2 @ 3/4" & 1 @ 1.0 ". Proper reducers were used and each conduit is supported within 3' of this guat...it is strictly used as jb / pb, without luminaires etc. Is this installation proper, based on the 2008 nec ? If this were a conduit body vs a guat, would this installation be acceptable ? The ifc drawings show this installation, as i described.

dejavu........

ARCTICSKI

What don't you understand...about is ???

What don't you understand...about is ???

:roll:IS = PRESENT TENSE...REFERRING TO NEC-2008 APPLICATION.

480sparky

:roll:IS = PRESENT TENSE...REFERRING TO NEC-2008 APPLICATION.

yelling.jpg

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What is a "GUAT"?

...and don't tell me it's a j-box or pull box, because I already gleaned that from the OP.

cadpoint

I don't know what this IFC drawing is, I'll say it's an illustration if its just some example of an application!

I'm with Smart, and don't know what your asking in respects to what a GUAT is...

In NC, if you float a box in the air, the box has to be supported, independently and the conduit has to be supported independently respective of the type of conduit, not supported by the box, JB, pull box or other wise; it doesn't matter!

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I see no code issue as long as the volume of the conduit body does not exceed 100 cubic inches and I doubt that an 1.5" GUAT has that much volume. 314.23(E)

ARCTICSKI

i don't know what this ifc drawing is, i'll say it's an illustration if its just some example of an application!

I'm with smart, and don't know what your asking in respects to what a guat is...

In nc, if you float a box in the air, the box has to be supported, independently and the conduit has to be supported independently respective of the type of conduit, not supported by the box, jb, pull box or other wise; it doesn't matter!
ifc = issued for construction.

Dave58er

I'm glad you figured that out. I didn't know what he meant:grin:

That was kinda fun to watch. :grin:
I looked back and arcticski is new and has not had a "welcome to the forum" so I figured I'd help out a bit. :)

BTW another added question in this thread vs the previous: is this spec compliant when applied to previous code cycles?

Dave58er

I thought it was.

That is how I see it.

I didn't feel comfortable answering the question though because the cited article mentions "enclosure"(s). Not until the text of the exception is conduit body brought up.

So is it applicable to conduit bodies and enclosures?

In other sections of this article a conduit body is called out as though it is a separate beast. As in 314.16 (C), 314.28 or 314.29.

This led me to start looking through definitions, which sent me to 110.20, and so on which led me to a headache and I decided I'd rather just go play catch with my son and see if someone with a better grasp of the subject would expand on this thread. :)

Volta

That is how I see it.

I didn't feel comfortable answering the question though because the cited article mentions "enclosure"(s). Not until the text of the exception is conduit body brought up.

So is it applicable to conduit bodies and enclosures?

In other sections of this article a conduit body is called out as though it is a separate beast. As in 314.16 (C), 314.28 or 314.29.

This led me to start looking through definitions, which sent me to 110.20, and so on which led me to a headache and I decided I'd rather just go play catch with my son and see if someone with a better grasp of the subject would expand on this thread. :)

:grin: :grin:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Dave,
The first sentence in 314.23 says that the section applies to "enclosures within the scope of this article". Conduit bodies are clearly within the scope of this article.

If 314.23(F) was not intended to apply to conduit bodies, there would be no reason for the exception.

The reason for the exception is to permit larger conduit bodies, ones with a volume that exceeds 100 cubic inches, to be supported by raceways of the trade size of the conduit body.

In this case, I don't see any need to go to the exception as a 1.5" GUAT will not have a volume that exceeds 100 cubic inches. Had this been a much larger sized conduit body with a volume that exceeded 100 cubic inches, this would have been a violation as the supporting conduit is not of the same trade size as the conduit body.

Status
Not open for further replies.