Can someone explain this to me. See drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Can someone help explain what this involves, in as much detail as possible and possibly the amount of time. Please refer to note 12. Thanks very much

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Excuse me if I am out of line, but that seems a little unfair. Your profile says "estimator", a job for which I assume you are paid, but you want a Forumite to detail the job and provide a cost estimate for free ?
Advice, Code discussions, etc. I can see, but asking someone to perform your work seems a bit much.

walkerj

I am with Mr. Gus.

Also, you should not post other peoples names and phone numbers on the internet, that is not kosher.

I would call the guy from GE, look up the part#, or ask a more senior estimator/project manager at the office.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I am with Mr. Gus.

Also, you should not post other peoples names and phone numbers on the internet, that is not kosher.

I would call the guy from GE, look up the part#, or ask a more senior estimator/project manager at the office.

Will do thanks.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Excuse me if I am out of line, but that seems a little unfair. Your profile says "estimator", a job for which I assume you are paid, but you want a Forumite to detail the job and provide a cost estimate for free ?
Advice, Code discussions, etc. I can see, but asking someone to perform your work seems a bit much.

Augie I cqn apply time to it and find out what is involved but I like to get advice from ELECTRICIANS on here. I have not come across this particular scope of work before. This is a bit unusual. But thanks anyway

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As I said, and as I think you have found in numeous threads, most of us are glad to offer advice, even when it's not requested :), but,
"in as much detail as possible and possibly the amount of time" seems a little beyond "advice".
That said and done. I concur with Walkerj. Follow the advice in Note 12 and contact GE

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator

As I said, and as I think you have found in numeous threads, most of us are glad to offer advice, even when it's not requested :), but,
"in as much detail as possible and possibly the amount of time" seems a little beyond "advice".
That said and done. I concur with Walkerj. Follow the advice in Note 12 and contact GE

Got it Augie, thanks. There is a lot more to this job that I DO know and understand. This was something I was a little unfamiliar with. You know how many estimators I come across that estimate a scope of work but don't fully understand what the scope entails. I don't want to be one of them. I want to know exactly how something is done. I do agree that " in as much detail as possible" is a little too much of a request. THe time thing....well I here ya. I' THanks.

480sparky

I'd say it's pretty much self-explanatory. It details exactly what they want, who to call, how to perform the installation... everything down to how to tie your shoelaces.

realolman

Forumite, huh? Sounds like some sorta manufactured flooring or something... or maybe a teeth whitener:)

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
The two things that confused me.

1. Install new 1000a C/B in existing space ON TOP OF EXTG EM SWITCHBOARD. On TOP??
2.Provide extension pullbox on top/back of switchboard. I know why they want it but it just gets bolted to the gear?

__dan

on top

on top

Top mounted

Many drawings are majority cut and paste files. It would not surprise me if the engineer's last ten drawings specified top mounted breakers.

Just guessing, top mounted conduit entrance was intended with a separate external pullbox so they don't get hit with an extra when the pullbox is needed at a later date.

I hope it's obvious you need a factory part made to fit in and only available from one source, the factory or its authorized representative. That's what the note said to me, they are offering a factory part that will fit (meet code, UL listing, warranty). Of course there also jobs where I've been offered Ebay parts, so ...

The breaker is either drawout type, plug in, or bolt in. That's what I would want to know and if they specified a shutdown to rework the gear or if it can be shut down. If the gear can be shut down but the shutdown is not in the bid package, my first thought would be an adder, premium time on Sunday.

Last edited:

__dan

Ok

Ok

One more thing caught my eye. If they have two spare 800 amp breakers as shown they could save the cost of buying the 1000 amp breaker. Split the load and go with two feeders and two load side panelboards at 800 amp on the existing spare breakers. Value engineering, might be enough to make me competitive.

Oh,, and the source genset at 750 kW,, at 80% load and 480 volts it's rated for 723 amps continuous to the load. So, what is the load? Customer want to save money?

Of course I would not count on getting the change, politics and money. There's money to be made on the sale of the breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.