Replacement panel board height

Status
Not open for further replies.

netaguy

I have been asked to quote an exterior panel board and transformer replacement serving a foot ball field.

The existing install is mounted to the back of the scoreboard about 10' above grade.

In my efforts to make this replacement code compliant I have checked NEC 240.24 which restricts over current device to a height of 6'7". These breakers are serving the scoreboard, field lighting, some GFCI receptacles and a small concession stand.

There are not used as switches.

I checked NEC 600 if scoreboard would be classified as a sign but do not see any answer to my question there.

I would think it would be practical to mount the panel and breakers at this height to prevent non-qualified personel from accessing and for physical protection.

I just cannot seem to locate an exception to the breaker height.

Am I missing something?

I attached a photo.

Thanks.

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
The panelboard in your situation would need to be mounted with the breakers no higher than 6'7" to the highest breaker.

The conditions listed in 240.24(A) that would allow the breaker to be higher would not apply to your situation I afraid.

Chris

cadpoint

Chris, I understand the Code height requirement!

Don't you think they did this because of mischief and waived the height limit?

kwired

Electron manager
To keep mischevious persons out of the panel install a lock on the cover.

Most outdoor panels have provisions for this.

raider1

Staff member
To keep mischevious persons out of the panel install a lock on the cover.

Most outdoor panels have provisions for this.

Agreed, there are much better ways to keep people out of an electrical panel that don't require that the panel be elevated.

An elevated panel would increase the hazards involved when working in the panel.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.