Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T12's and T8's

T12's and T8's

Are ballasts designed for T12 lamps compatible with T8's and vice versa?
    Tom

" And all the science I don't understand, it's just my job five days a week "

The short answer is no.

Will it work? Yes. But to mix and match the two systems greatly compromises lamp life and performance.

So basically, the only factor is lamp life? I have a customer with hundreds of fixtures and there are both type of ballasts intermingled everywhere. I have both lamps available and use the correct lamp when obvious but sometimes it isn't.
    Tom

I would suggest telling them to change everything to T8 lamp and ballast. At least retrofit them as they go out. The savings they will get should be well worth it and they might qualify for a tax credit if it is available in their state.

Quote Originally Posted by A/A Fuel GTX View Post
    So basically, the only factor is lamp life? I have a customer with hundreds of fixtures and there are both type of ballasts intermingled everywhere. I have both lamps available and use the correct lamp when obvious but sometimes it isn't.
    how could it not be obvious if the diameter of the lamp is different.t8=1", t12=1 1/2" ...just curious, please explain.
    "Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by quinn77 View Post
    how could it not be obvious if the diameter of the lamp is different.t8=1", t12=1 1/2" ...just curious, please explain.
    Gotta check each ballast's label.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    Gotta check each ballast's label.
    of course...guess im tired and read his op wrong. but, if customer has both lamps, and you read labels, how could you go wrong?
    "Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

of course...guess im tired and read his op wrong. but, if customer has both lamps, and you read labels, how could you go wrong?
    Because many times the only label the customer has is only on the covered up ballast.

Very common problem with customer doing their own maintenance when they have mixed type lamp fixtures, and not just with fluorescents, HID's are a big problem.
    Wayne A. From: N.W.Indiana
    Be Fair, Be Safe
    Just don't be fairly safe

Quote Originally Posted by hurk27 View Post
    Because many times the only label the customer has is only on the covered up ballast.

Very common problem with customer doing their own maintenance when they have mixed type lamp fixtures, and not just with fluorescents, HID's are a big problem.
    now I see where the OP is with his question...very tired, excuse me.

Quite often, I am faced with fixtures that have the lamps removed when I arrive. I know, I could take the fixture apart and check the ballast.
    Tom