Re-poll

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Re-poll

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Volta

It is difficult to find a definition of a truss as a "framing member".

It is easy to find references to trusses built from individual members or to find trusses considered "structural members".

The simpler elements comprise members of the larger structures.

Wikipedia:
In architecture and structural engineering, a truss is a structure comprising one or more triangular units constructed with straight members whose ends are connected at joints referred to as nodes...

Merriam-Webster
roof truss:
Assembly of members composed of a triangular substructure to form the frame of a sloped roof; it supports the roof.

truss-frame.com:
TRUSS (see Roof Truss)
An engineered pre-built component, designed to carry its own weight and added superimposed design loads, that most often functions as a structural support member. A Truss, most often made of wood, employs one or more triangles in its construction. Made from dimension lumber of various sizes, the chords and webs are most often connected together by the use of toothed connector plates which transfer the tensile and shear forces. Metal connector plates are stamped from galvanized steel sheet metal of varying grades and gauge thicknesses to provide different grip values.

Jim W in Tampa

"{If we MUST comply with both A & B then we are only allowed to run EMT horizontally in framing members, no other locations are allowed when we MUST use A & B together."

"OK in that case the words say we must run EMT horizontally in framing members, it cannot be run vertically or anyplace outside of a framing member."

It does NOT say that. It says when your running horizontal it is support.

"Quote:
As i been saying my issue is over that one little word AND . I know your smart enough to read english and know what the word AND means.
I do and I also am smart enough to know when someone is talking down to me and in person few people due that. "
Bob i would have no problem telling you that to your face but we are over a thousand miles apart. And you took it the wrong way.

Quote:
Highlite the part of B that you believe says we do not need A.

Highlite the part that allows us to run EMT outside of a framing member if we must always comply with both A & B.
NEC is a permiseive code. What we need to see is where it says SHALL NOT or SHALL
Being that is not there it is allowed

Quote:
B is only talking about SUPPORT and it says framing can be permited as SUPPORT it never sait it was support and securing because it is not secured if just laying there.

You are correct it is not secured if it is just supported. But the NEC allows that when running through framing members.

Jim do you agree that the NEC allows EMT to be fished?
Yes but only for an unbroken 10 feet

When EMT is fished must it be securely fastened?
No but for same reason romex and MC can be fished

Bob ,don't take this as personal as it is not. Often i agree with you, this simply is not one of them times. You are very smart on code but not perfect. Even Mike Holt admits he has made a few mistakes.
I have read and reread this section many times. The words as written say it needs secured in addition to support. If that is not there intent then it needs fixed and that is easy. Change that AND to OR and disagreement is over.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Careful, PETA may chime in about "BEATING A DEAD HORSE".
This argument falls into two arguments: those who would strap the emt and those who would not. The best part, those that don't strap the emt also use it as a ground path instead of pulling a cable. The AHJ (building official) is the one that can make the interpretation, not the installer, so if the AHJ says it needs strapping you have no argument. Here in earthquake country you need to strap it every 10 and at the ends.

cadpoint

I have read and reread this section many times. The words as written say it needs secured in addition to support. If that is not there intent then it needs fixed and that is easy. Change that AND to OR and disagreement is over.

This is the sharpest answer/response I've seen between to two Hot Threads!
I don't install it the way people are voting, I frankly would never pass an inspection if I did as their voting.

I'm frankly shocked to any inference that because there is an inspector or even a moderator making a vote makes them right in respects to the subject matter - much less correct!

OK, let me qualify it; I can't do that in the Tar Heel State.

Read what it says, get over it! :roll:

Volta

To me, if a truss was considered a "framing member", by builders, it would be allowed.

But I can't find any definition of a truss being a framing member, only trusses being built from individual members.

So drill a hole through the top chord, bottom chord, truss web, diagonal brace, tie beam, queen post, slider, straining beam, whatever, and it will meet the letter of 358.30(B), though probably fail the structural for the G.C. :roll:.

But if not "supported by openings in framing members", the EMT does not comply.

Can you find a reasonable example of a truss being defined as a "framing member"?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
To me, if a truss was considered a "framing member", by builders, it would be allowed.

But I can't find any definition of a truss being a framing member, only trusses being built from individual members.

So drill a hole through the top chord, bottom chord, truss web, diagonal brace, tie beam, queen post, slider, straining beam, whatever, and it will meet the letter of 358.30(B), though probably fail the structural for the G.C. :roll:.

But if not "supported by openings in framing members", the EMT does not comply.

Can you find a reasonable example of a truss being defined as a "framing member"?

Well put. .

Status
Not open for further replies.