Commercial Garage Switch Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dquist

Working on putting a bid together for a truck maintenance facility. From what I've gathered, it's a "Major" repair garage, and there is no floor ventilation, which puts the floor to 18" as Class 1 Division 1. I can put outlets above 18" AFF, so I'm not concerned about that. 511.7(B) seems to leave out some detail. The lighting will be at about 20', so that's above the 12' requirement, but I have light switches, which will obviously be in the 18" to 12'. What satisfies a switch being "totally enclosed?" There also are occupancy sensor switches in the area... if these need to be class 1, division 2... they're not going to be occ sensors. What also boggles me is that there are receptacles for welders. How is an arc welder allowed if I'm not allowed a regular switch? I also have dock door controllers that would be above a Class 1 location.

Thanks for your help, any clarification you can provide would be much appreciated.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
You should review Section 511.3(C)(b) - even without ventilation it's still only Division 2, 18" above the floor; nevertheless, there may be some boundary seal issues depending on how stub-ups are installed.

Except for luminaires, virtually any recognized enclosure in Table 110.28, that is otherwise suitable for the location, will meet the "fully enclosed" requirements. Luminaires should be globed as a minimum; globed and guarded is preferable.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree with Bob that this is likely only a division 2 location you are dealing with.

That said the end of 511.7(B) that you questioned says "shall be of the totally enclosed type or constructed so as to prevent the escape of sparks or hot metal particles."

A how often do you see escaping sparks or hot metal particles from a typical toggle switch used for general lighting? I think they are constructed to prevent this escape and are suitable for 511.7(B).

Status
Not open for further replies.