2020 NEC Code Cycle CMP Reorganization

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I am well aware- but I'd like to have someone like Mr. Abernathy who is on the inside to share his side.

My point was you can see the work load each CMP has and using your noggin you can figure out that some have a lot to deal with and some do not.

I was not trying to silence other discussion.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
My point was you can see the work load each CMP has and using your noggin you can figure out that some have a lot to deal with and some do not.

I was not trying to silence other discussion.

True, but I have no way of knowing what the NFPA will do to those panels into the future. There is also the question in that if something has worked for decades why change it?

raider1

Staff member
True, but I have no way of knowing what the NFPA will do to those panels into the future. There is also the question in that if something has worked for decades why change it?

As Paul pointed out this is simply a redistribution of the work load. CMP 4 was very busy last Cycle with Article 690 and 705. Therefore NFPA felt they would lessen CMP 4's load for the next cycle by shifting Article 225 and 230 to CMP 10. A few cycles ago CMP 10 was super busy with Article 240 but the last cycle 240 was fairly light in regards to proposals.

The code goes through cycles, right now Solar is a big issue so there are a ton of proposals addressing solar, in the future is will be something else so NFPA might have to readjust the Articles again.

Being a voting alternate on CMP 10 I was fully aware that they were going to realign CMP 10 to bring in Article 225 and 230.

The change will make the meetings run more smoothly.

Chris

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Can someone who is knowledgeable please post the new sections and what they relate to? that would be great!

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
The NFPA Standards Council, upon request from the National Electrical Code® Correlating Committee, at its December 2016 meeting has decided to combine Code-Making Panels 6 and 7 to create a new Code-Making Panel (CMP) 6. The new CMP 6 article assignments would be: Articles 310, 320, 322, 324, 326, 328, 330, 332, 334, 336, 338, 340, 382, 394, 396, 398, 399, 400, 402, Chapter 9, Tables 5 through 9 and Annex B. The Standards Council is also reassigning the work of Code-Making Panels 4 and 10. Articles 225 and 230 are reassigned from CMP 4 to CMP 10. In addition, Article 215 will be reassigned from CMP 2 to CMP 10. CMP 4 will now be assigned Articles 690, 691, 692, 694, 705, and 710. CMP 10 will be assigned Articles 215, 225, 230, and 240. CMP 19 will be renamed CMP 7 with no changes in article assignments. (Published by the NFPA - Reprinted for Educational Purposes Only)

The individual who asked about Article 706 - It will remain under CMP 13 to the best of my knowledge.

New Articles :

Article 425 – Fixed Resistance and Electrode Industrial Process Heating Equipment
Article 691 – Large-Scale Photovoltaic (PV) Electric Supply Stations
Article 706 – Energy Storage Systems (ESS)
Article 710 – Stand-Alone Systems
Article 712 – Direct Current Microgrids

Status
Not open for further replies.