Labor Disputes

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
At a local refinery, the instrument techs can do electrical work that they feel qualified to do, the union agreed to this.
Many paper mills require you to be two trades and a working knowledge of a third.

One of our customers has a program they call multi-skilled technicians.

All the electricians are really more instrument technicians than they are electricians, as electrical work is contracted out (like running pipe and wire), and the plant electricians are more oriented toward maintaining and debugging the plant equipment.

The mechanics can take some kind of basic electrical or instrumentation classes. The electricians can take one of three mechanical skill sets - welding, hydraulics, or pneumatics I think.

I know one of the electricians got a welding certificate from a local jr college and got $1 something an hour raise for it. Last I had heard he had never actually welded anything in the plant though.

I am not sure if you get any extra pay for more than one skill or not.

From what I can tell the program is popular with the people getting extra pay.

They also have some kind of deal for one line of machines that requires a lot of attention for a mechanic/operator. I think every other machine has an operator that is allegedly cross trained as a mechanic so if a machine in the line goes down, he goes and fixes that machine while the operator on the down machine takes over for him while he works on the down machine. I gather the program has been moderately successful.

Most plants, union or otherwise, I have been in the last 10 or 15 years the instrument techs have wide latitude. They are usually the guys figuring out what is wrong and organizing a fix. A fair number of places the guys with the title of electricians these days are more like instrument techs.

Last edited:

dicklaxt

When pneumatic instrumentation gave way to electronics, Instrument Engineers were somehow tagged to write the specs and purchase PLC's and the like that was compatible with the new electronic devices and has evolved into todays sophisticated Distributive Control Systems.

How many of you remember what the old school Pneumatic Instrument Techs were called?They were known as the "Suck & Blow Guys",they still get the raspberry on the Design/Engineering side of the fence.:D

dick

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Regarding Bobs post on the pressure switch calibration, the International Society of Automation about ten years ago set up a certification called Control System Technician (CST) To be a CST required knowledge of electrical, instruments and plumbing. The CST was set up to avoid the issues bob described, and many companies require CST certification.

At a local refinery, the instrument techs can do electrical work that they feel qualified to do, the union agreed to this.
Many paper mills require you to be two trades and a working knowledge of a third.

Actually, it was called a CCST. As in 'Certified Control Systems Technician' with a little 'r' after it.

I used to be one. Then they wanted $140 for me to renew. I decided not to.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Actually, it was called a CCST. As in 'Certified Control Systems Technician' with a little 'r' after it.

I used to be one. Then they wanted $140 for me to renew. I decided not to.

They also are promoting something called CAP - Certified Automation Professional.

Both programs seem to be oriented toward selling their study material to help you pass the tests, the test reveiw classes, and the tests themselves that you have to take to get either of these certifications.

K2500

A quick search was fruitless. I will keep looking.

Addendum:

Here is the official name: "Business Managers Construction Jurisdictional Handbook"

So far, I haven't been able to find an online copy or even a place to purchase a hard copy online.

It may be that they are only distributed through union halls. I get that feeling because the term 'Business Manager' is kind of a union thing. Each local has to have one, no matter what the trade is.

I will keep looking....

I didn't find much on that title after the 80's.
Is this the new and improved version?
It's a bit pricey.

Electric-Light

Someone didn't spend enough time in the office to draft out the contract to go deeply enough.
What was the project manager(s) doing as all these bickering and back pedaling ensued?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.