Electronic Trip Setting Adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this may depend on the manufacturer, but generally speaking, can pick up and delay settings on an electronic trip unit be done without resetting and deenergizing the breaker?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Most of the ones I have seen get adjusted by using a small screwdriver to turn a dial up or down. I also believe that this step does not place the worker into the vicinity of live electrical parts. I don't think you have to first turn off either the breaker being adjusted or its upstream power source.

310 BLAZE IT

Agreed Charlie most are either dials or programming settings with a dongle that you plug in.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

iwire

Staff member
I know this may depend on the manufacturer, but generally speaking, can pick up and delay settings on an electronic trip unit be done without resetting and deenergizing the breaker?

I have run into both so in my opinion it you would need to read the instructions for that breaker.

wbdvt

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
Well depends on what settings you are changing. From the description of pickup and delay settings, seems to indicate either long time or short time or even ground fault but not inst. Delay settings are probably safer as, depending on the trip unit, during the process of changing the setting may put you in an indeterminate or zero state. In other words if your LTPU is set for 1x and you are changing it to 0.8x, you may go to 0x first. Ooops and don't ask how I know...:ashamed:

I believe the majority, if not all, manufacturers will recommend against changing the breaker setting while energized.

iwire

Staff member
Please note that real men don''t read directions!

At least not until after the smoke clears. :lol:

I guess that makes me a bit different, as a rule I stay away from instructions but with something like this, with bad results ranging from a short unexpected outage to a trashed, expensive, hard to find breaker I tend to at least glance at the warnings.:eek:hmy:

Status
Not open for further replies.