Holmes on Homes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

76nemo

Just watched this for the first time tonight due to boredom:roll:

Problem with a hot tub. Holmes states a GFCI recep can NOT work electrically connected load side of a GFCI breaker. His electrician backs him in his conclusion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oakey

I thought his show was just finding cheapskate homeowners who take the lowest possible bid and allow no permits and cry about it later. There's been a few electrical disasters in his show for sure.

jmargolis79

Did you see the way they mount the panels? It looks like the breakers are up and down. so, half the breakers are on in the up position and half are on in the down position.

76nemo

Did you see the way they mount the panels? It looks like the breakers are up and down. so, half the breakers are on in the up position and half are on in the down position.

It's allowed by CEC, so I figure some of it is in Canada. It appears there is no ruling for securing 12" out of the box either.

powerslave

That being said, I've had issues with Holmes before. There was an episode where the homeowner hired a bad contractor who advertised on the internet. Holmes pretty much said NEVER hire a contractor who advertises on the internet. I thought that was pretty rotten. There are good and bad contractors. I don't think the internet has anything to do with it. We advertise in different mediums including the internet.

jes25

I know that connecting a GFCI receptacle off the load side of another GFCI receptacle causes problems.

It can be 'problem' to find which one has tripped.

Holmes is an idiot. I just watched a program where the HO had a shoddy bath remodel done for 9300$. Holmes said for 10K you can get anything you want in your bath and then spent about 20K on it.

WinZip

I recently saw how the homes show was started an from what was said the show picks up about 80% of what holmes does in remodeling the remodel an home owner pays the remainder 20% , was also said MH at times does things on his own in these houses an pays for the extras out of his own pocket.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Everything he says may not be correct, but he's human. I do like the show however, and I do think there's more good, than bad that comes out of it.

WinZip

Yeah , has full blown web sites - clothing line you name it , also building an eco friendly housing development , does sound like a real dummy LOL

norcal

Just remember 1 thing "Holmes on Homes" is a Canadian program, & they play by Canadian rules & ideas, but that does not mean that American programs of those type only put out good, proper advice & ideas either, they spout the same type of bull at times also.

Riograndeelectric

did any of you look close at the make of the existing panel,? sis you notice is an FPE Panel?
FPE but Stab Loc. FPE made by Schneider Electric
this is the first panel on his show I saw mounted vertical.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
We've had instances where the second GFCI was not able to be reset upon enrgizing the circuit. Because of this we make it a practice not to put GFCI receptacles off of the load side of another GFCI device. And, of course, there really is no need to.
There is no reason why the second GFCI would not reset, except for a defective GFCI. While there is no reason to put them in series, there is also no technical reason not to put GFCIs in series.

WinZip

Strange why you can not bring any thing in the top section of there panels except for the service , then all circuits come in sides an bottom of it, weird.

WinZip

Some of the electrical panels that were installed that I have seen on his shows it's a good thing they don't allow circuitry to enter through the top because the service would blow off the wall once energized.

norcal

Strange why you can not bring any thing in the top section of there panels except for the service , then all circuits come in sides an bottom of it, weird.

The fact that branch circuits cannot be brought through the main breaker compartment is one reason you see some Canadian panels mounted sideways, it's not prohibited by the CEC, like it is here with the NEC. Hack work here,just fine up there.

Mike Holmes did not say Never hire a contractor who advertises on the Internet--I remember him saying Never hire a contractor who solely advertises on the Internet and I agree--he is pointing out the scam artists selling services not actual skilled services. And as far as "cheapskate homeowners who take the lowest possible bid and allow no permits then cry about it later" Obviously you don't truly watch the show as your statement is utterly false. And again we begin a conversation about the NEC and how an interpretation or consensus is nearly impossible to obtain. Mike Holmes does a lot of good and if actually watched one would learn much about construction technics and contracting.

Status
Not open for further replies.