possible feeder/tap violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Rope

so this is my situation.
Their is a main 400A circuit breaker in a disconnect, mounted on the side of the building. If you come off the 400A breaker into a building with 500kcmil 100ft in length, and terminate into a 2 feed through MLO panels with no main or disconnecting means, and use these panels for your branch circuits. are the 500's considered taps and not code compliant? The wire is protected so I'm thinking their still feeders yet they are not terminating into an overcurrent device. Instead Their terminating into the bus bars and feeding the branch circuits. I feel like I'm overthinking this but it seems fine but i kind of think its not code compliant. i appreciate any input.
THANKS

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are the two panels rated for 400 amps and the conductors 500 kcmil? If so then you have a splice in the circuit not a tap.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
The wire is protected so I'm thinking their still feeders yet they are not terminating into an overcurrent device. Instead Their terminating into the bus bars and feeding the branch circuits. I feel like I'm overthinking this but it seems fine but i kind of think its not code compliant. i appreciate any input.
THANKS

Along with what infinity said that you have a splice not a tap, you don't need a main breaker at a sub panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.