smoke alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.

difowler1

Where is the guide for smoke alarms? In what code book?

By code do smoke alarms (residential) need to be all linked together, so that if one alarm is tripped, all the smoke alarms will sound.

iwire

Staff member

By code do smoke alarms (residential) need to be all linked together, so that if one alarm is tripped, all the smoke alarms will sound.

That would be in your local building or fire codes.

If you give your rough location someone here might know.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

The requirement for smoke alarms will be in the locally adopted version of the International Residential Code or other standard adopted by your municipality. How to design the installation can be found in NFPA 72; ask your AHJ which edition is used in your jurisdiction. Every manufacturer includes essentially this same information in the installation sheet for their product.

In new construction it is generally required that all smoke alarms in the dwelling unit be linked together (multi-station). Usually for retrofit situations you can use single station alarms. Please note that most states now require CO detection as well. These may be part of a smoke alarm or stand-alone detectors. Again, YMMV so confirm with your AHJ what requirements govern in your jurisdiction.

JFletcher

In new construction it is generally required that all smoke alarms in the dwelling unit be linked together

This. Even in VA, the last home we did we linked the SAs. I joke on VA because our residential codes are behind nearly every other state.

Here's a link that has every state's guidelines:

http://www.thewfsf.org/sap_usa_files/FEMA_StateSmokeAlarmRequirementsMay2010.pdf

Pulling 14/3 to every SA takes no more time than 14/2 and the materials cost is almost the same.

gadfly56

Occupation
Are there still places that do not require interconnects for smoke alarms?

I do not recall when NJ required interconnected smokes in new construction, but if your home was built before then you can use single-station smoke alarms, but you are only required to install them when you sell.

tadavidson

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
that pdf is 6 years old so dont take it as gospel now. and tho it may not be required, I see no compelling reason to not interconnect them in new construction.

'why would he take the PDF as the teaching of the good news of Jesus Christ?

gadfly56

Occupation

That is the connotative meaning, the literal meaning of "gospel" is "good news".

This explanation brought to you by the PSA, Pedants Society of America.

JFletcher

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/take+as+gospel

I was unaware the phrase "take that as gospel" was a regional idiom. The lack of capitalization was intentional; any offense was not.

To rephrase:

Dont take that link as definitive or the final word as it's 6+ years old and codes in Texas may have changed since then.

I see MasterTheNEC has provided a newer link and code cycle Texas is currently on.

peter d

The pamphlet that comes with smoke and CO/smoke detectors has the NFPA guidelines for detector placement in them, if you don't want to purchase the actual code book.

RICK NAPIER

I do not recall when NJ required interconnected smokes in new construction, but if your home was built before then you can use single-station smoke alarms, but you are only required to install them when you sell.
That is true only if they use battery only smoke detectors. There are a also some requirements for adding interconnected smoke detectors with certain alterations and additions in NJ.

tadavidson

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That is the connotative meaning, the literal meaning of "gospel" is "good news".

This explanation brought to you by the PSA, Pedants Society of America.

TYpe "Gospel" definition into any top search engine and see the top results. OR look in Webster. But I do agree that any speaking of Jesus Christ is "good news".

Status
Not open for further replies.