Shunt trip breakers for ansul system

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrclen

I need to install 2 50A 2 pole Cutler Hammer type BR shunt trip circuit breakers in a panel for a grill and a deep fryer under a Ansul protected hood. My question is, where do I get the power for the control circuit? Do I use one leg of the load side of one shunt trip breaker to feed the NO contacts of the Ansul control box? If so, can I use this supply for both circuit breakers? Thanks.

iwire

Staff member
I need to install 2 50A 2 pole Cutler Hammer type BR shunt trip circuit breakers in a panel for a grill and a deep fryer under a Ansul protected hood. My question is, where do I get the power for the control circuit? Do I use one leg of the load side of one shunt trip breaker to feed the NO contacts of the Ansul control box? If so, can I use this supply for both circuit breakers? Thanks.

Typically if the shunt breaker is larger than a 20 we add a single pole 20 amp breaker for a control circuit.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

At my former employer we have done this, but usually only when there is a single appliance covered. The reasoning we used is that if the load side is dead, the appliance is off anyway and it doesn't matter if the shunt doesn't operate. But if you are covering more than one appliance, what happens if someone turns off the breaker to the appliance supplying multiple shunts? I always preferred energize-to-close contactors for that reason. If they fail, they fail safe.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Thank you for the reply. I can do that. But after a trip the coils in the shunt trip breakers will remain energized. Is that okay?

No, there is an internal contact that opens, de-energizing the coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.