? for all you inspectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have a home that is "offshore". Does 210.12 still apply for AFCI. I think it would but want to see your thoughts.:confused:

Thanks

I am curious as to why you would think it did not apply? Is the area governed by the NEC? Or is the dwelling a boat?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I'm currious as to why only inspectors input would matter.

Roger

growler

I have a home that is "offshore". Does 210.12 still apply for AFCI. I think it would but want to see your thoughts.:confused:

Thanks

Who has jurisdiction over the area where the house is located?

Who knows you may be under the jurisdiction of the Army Corps of Engineers maybe even the Coast Guard.

The first thing to find out is who's jurisdiction you are in. :)

iwire

Staff member
Who has jurisdiction over the area where the house is located?

Who knows you may be under the jurisdiction of the Army Corps of Engineers maybe even the Coast Guard.

:grin:

No AFCIs needed but he damn well better have his life jackets in place.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Personally, I think he should be tarred and feathered for asking a question with such a crappy description:roll:

slick 50

Actually all I know is this home is offshore of New Orleans. Question came from a friend so I will get more details. I didnt think there were so many possibilities. Also, did not intentially direct question to just inspectors. Dont know why I titled it that way:confused: Thanks for the input. Now i have a list of questions.

radiopet

Based on such little information we will assume it is powered from the shore and is a floating building. If the inside of this floating building is being used as a dwelling then I would say it applies. Beyond all the potential WHAT IF's.....until better referenced i will stick with 90.2...;)

90.2 Scope.
(A) Covered. This Code covers the installation of electrical
conductors, equipment, and raceways; signaling and
communications conductors, equipment, and raceways; and
optical fiber cables and raceways for the following:

(1) Public and private premises, including buildings, structures,
mobile homes, recreational vehicles, and floating
buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.