Test for New Hire Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transportation Guy

Good morning. I am wondering if anyone knows a small, simple test available that you use for potential new hires? We get alot of people that apply and I would really like to implement this into our processes. I could write one but.......

cpinetree

Probably be better to write your own, as you know the qualifications needed for the job within your company.

You wouldn't want to test a resi guy on motor control etc.

A test of 10 or 15 short, quick questions will usually let you know if someone is worth giving the opportunity to.

active1

I made them up myself.
Please try to write it in a clear and definite answer.
I have also taken them and aggravated when some of the questions could have multiple answers due to lack of detail.
Like: How many neutrals are needed for a 3 phase circuit?
Don't say if it's a motor, 3 pole breaker, etc.

I liked to start with some simple ones electricians that can read understand then go harder. But not more than 10 questions.
Some people will spend even way too long on it, where 10 basic questions take 30 minutes.
Someone should at least make sure their not a googletrician or texting a lifeline.
Make it multiple choice so anyone can administer, grade, and there is only 1 clear answer.
Have the test apply to your normal area of work and skill level your looking for.

Remember some have poor reading comprehension, can barely read, or English as a second language.
Had some where they couldn't get any answer right. Verbally ask them the question and they know the answer right away.
They turned out to be great workers.
Again depends on the type of worker your looking for.

Off the top of my head:
Which color is the equipment ground conductor?
Which color is the grounded conductor?
What does LOTO mean?
What NEC chapter has wiring methods?
Minimum distance apart do ground rods need to be spaced?
A 14 gauge lighting circuit can be landed on what size circuit breaker?
How many degrees maximum are permitted in a conduit run between pull points?
Minimum amount of conductor from connector and box on a 4x4x1.5 box? (2 part 6" / 3")
How many wires are in a 12/3 MC cable?
Minimum spacing of EMT conduit from box to strap when structure is available?
How many watts per horsepower?

Cletis

Yes, i use resumes for toilet paper basically. Ex. I had a guy say he was a master pipe bender on resume and when i gave him his first pvc 70 degree to bend he had no idea what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFletcher

I made them up myself.
Please try to write it in a clear and definite answer.
I have also taken them and aggravated when some of the questions could have multiple answers due to lack of detail.
Like: How many neutrals are needed for a 3 phase circuit?
Don't say if it's a motor, 3 pole breaker, etc.

I liked to start with some simple ones electricians that can read understand then go harder. But not more than 10 questions.
Some people will spend even way too long on it, where 10 basic questions take 30 minutes.
Someone should at least make sure their not a googletrician or texting a lifeline.
Make it multiple choice so anyone can administer, grade, and there is only 1 clear answer.
Have the test apply to your normal area of work and skill level your looking for.

Remember some have poor reading comprehension, can barely read, or English as a second language.
Had some where they couldn't get any answer right. Verbally ask them the question and they know the answer right away.
They turned out to be great workers.
Again depends on the type of worker your looking for.

Off the top of my head:
Which color is the equipment ground conductor?
Which color is the grounded conductor?
What does LOTO mean?
What NEC chapter has wiring methods?
Minimum distance apart do ground rods need to be spaced?
A 14 gauge lighting circuit can be landed on what size circuit breaker?
How many degrees maximum are permitted in a conduit run between pull points?
Minimum amount of conductor from connector and box on a 4x4x1.5 box? (2 part 6" / 3")
How many wires are in a 12/3 MC cable?
Minimum spacing of EMT conduit from box to strap when structure is available?
How many watts per horsepower?

Green or bare, white or grey, Lock Out Tag Out (safety), 3, 6, 15, 360, 6", 5, 3', 746. w/o looking.

active1

You got 1 qualified test taker already.
For me the idea is to weed out the fakes.
Some people in construction not working will respond to any job.
If the person is licensed they should have been tested already.

Seen some companies want a person to draw a 3 way switch diagram, motor control diagram, or draw in electrical as needed on a print.
Or bend EMT with some old odd-ball 1/2 bender.
Other places where I had verbal questions about what would you do in a situation.
One guy kept saying ya, that would work, but it's not what I'm was thinking of.
I'm just like I know it's Vegas but I'm not applying for the mind reading job.

To me it seemed like the companies that would put too much in the testing would just use the results to lowball the applicants desired wage.
It's not hard to make a closed book no calculator test very few would do well.
Where some of the better jobs have very light testing.

JFletcher

I'd prefer a hands-on test, but for test questions for residential:

1) A 12/3, two 12/2 cables, and a device are in a clampless box rated 22in3. All cables have a wire EGC. Is this allowed by the NEC? Explain your answer.
2) When replacing 2 prong receptacles, what are the options?
3) Describe in 50 words or fewer how you would cut in a new box for a receptacle in a plaster wall.
4) What are the most important things in customer service?
5) What section is most applicable to non-metallic cable?
6) Name at least 4 places GFCI protection is required
7) Do you have any conditions that would limit or prevent you from working in crawlspaces or attics?
8 ) How many 12ga wires are typically allowed in a red wire nut?
9) What safety precautions would you take when adding a new circuit to a 240V single phase panel?
10) How often must NM cable be supported?
11) What is the purpose of grounding?
12) What is the purpose of bonding?
13) What is a MWBC?
14) A residential customer calls reporting a fried TV. You arrive and find that the panel leg #1 has 155V, and leg #2 has 85V. What is the most likely cause?
15) When wiring a new HVAC unit with the nameplate specs of 12A MCA and 30A MOCP, what sized wire and breakers would you use?
16) A residential customer calls reporting flickering incandescent lights in one room only. What steps would you take to troubleshoot this problem?
17) How many amps does it take to stop your heart?
18) What is the maximum allowable distance for boxes to be set back from the surface of drywall? From wooden paneling?
19) Explain in 20 words or less how GFCI receptacles and breakers work.
20) What if anything is incorrect about using 3 NM cables in an underground raceway to feed a detached garage?

Hands-on:
1) Demonstrate how to wire a GFCI receptacle so that it affords downstream protection.
2) A clampless single gang box of 20in3 has 5 14/2 NM w/o ground cables in it. Explain/demonstrate how you would correct this.
3) Properly wire a single-pole AFCI breaker.

and oops, 4. I claim typo. :D

Depends on the level of help you wish to hire as well. Someone green but willing to learn and do may very well do horribly on test but if you're willing to train them, they may be an outstanding employee.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

1) A 12/3, two 12/2 cables, and a device are in a clampless box rated 22in3. All cables have a wire EGC. Is this allowed by the NEC? Explain your answer.
3) Describe in 50 words or fewer how you would cut in a new box for a receptacle in a plaster wall.
7) Do you have any conditions that would limit or prevent you from working in crawlspaces or attics?
9) What safety precautions would you take when adding a new circuit to a 240V single phase panel?
13) What is a MWBC?
14) A residential customer calls reporting a fried TV. You arrive and find that the panel leg #1 has 155V, and leg #2 has 85V. What is the most likely cause?
15) When wiring a new HVAC unit with the nameplate specs of 12A MCA and 30A MOCP, what sized wire and breakers would you use?
16) A residential customer calls reporting flickering incandescent lights in one room only. What steps would you take to troubleshoot this problem?
18) What is the maximum allowable distance for boxes to be set back from the surface of drywall? From wooden paneling?
20) What if anything is incorrect about using 3 NM cables in an underground raceway to feed a detached garage?

Hands-on:
1) Demonstrate how to wire a GFCI receptacle so that it affords downstream protection.
2) A clampless single gang box of 20in3 has 5 14/2 NM w/o ground cables in it. Explain/demonstrate how you would correct this.

Depends on the level of help you wish to hire as well. Someone green but willing to learn and do may very well do horribly on test but if you're willing to train them, they may be an outstanding employee.

IMO, any electrician that can answer all those questions correctly is already working and is just fishing or is such a know it all you would never be able to tell him anything. :)

active1

13) What is a MWBC?

Hands-on:

An electrical essay test. As I said I never liked tests that don't have a set answer such A, B, C, D or a number like 20A. IF ever questioned about hiring practices it's easier to show an unskilled person they chose the wrong letters on the test vs they didn't describe this topic as well or correct compared to another person. Something like a GFI or 3 way you could make it fill in the blank with a pic of the device with A, B, C, D on the terminals:
#1 Line Hot _____
#2 Line Neutral _____
etc.

I never done NM resi, so I don't know some of those off my head.
#1 It's not clear the cables are NM.
#3 When you say plaster I think of the old wood or metal lath stuff or floated on drywall that's like cement.
#7 I would put it in a different section of the application as it would be a bonafide job necessity / accommodations for disability not a skill assessment.
#8 I hate the word typically in a test. Such as Ideal Wire-Twist WT6 & Wire-Nut 76B is max 4 #12's. But Ideal Wing-Twist WT52, B-Twist BT2, & B-Cap B2 is max 5 #12's.

active1

I like the helper questions.
Never asked these, but I wish I did.

1. How do you tap a box for hardware?
a. Hit it with something.
b. Install a microphone.
c. Use a drill, bit, and tap.
b. Bounce your feet to music, turning to the right in a box pattern.

2. If your asked to get a black, white, and green #12 THWN wire, what do you look for?
a. 1 roll of wire with the colors black, white, and green.
b. 1 roll of wire of either color, black, white, or green.
c. 3 rolls of wire colored black, white, and green.
d. 3 rolls of any color, preferably black, white, and green.

3. If your told to make a hole for a 1" connector in a can you could:
a. Use a 1" diameter hole saw.
b. Use a stud punch.
c. Use a 1 3/8" diameter hole saw.
d. Use a sawsall with 6" blade.

4. To install a tapcon anchor you:
a. Don't need to drill, use an impact and push hard.
b. Use a drill first, then thread in the material.
c. Use a drill, press in a plastic anchor, then thread into the plastic.
d. Keep hitting it with a hammer till it's in.

JFletcher

An electrical essay test. As I said I never liked tests that don't have a set answer such A, B, C, D or a number like 20A. IF ever questioned about hiring practices it's easier to show an unskilled person they chose the wrong letters on the test vs they didn't describe this topic as well or correct compared to another person. Something like a GFI or 3 way you could make it fill in the blank with a pic of the device with A, B, C, D on the terminals:
#1 Line Hot _____
#2 Line Neutral _____
etc.

I never done NM resi, so I don't know some of those off my head.
#1 It's not clear the cables are NM.
#3 When you say plaster I think of the old wood or metal lath stuff or floated on drywall that's like cement.
#7 I would put it in a different section of the application as it would be a bonafide job necessity / accommodations for disability not a skill assessment.
#8 I hate the word typically in a test. Such as Ideal Wire-Twist WT6 & Wire-Nut 76B is max 4 #12's. But Ideal Wing-Twist WT52, B-Twist BT2, & B-Cap B2 is max 5 #12's.

I made that on the spot in 20 minutes or so, so it's sure to have a few ambiguous/not-great questions. #1, I dont think it matters the cable type, #3 and #7, agreed, and #8 I would be looking for 2-4 or 2-5, tho 4 or 5 would be good enough. 3 or 8 or a non answer/blank would indicate a wag or no clue, tho that particular question isn't as important to me as some of the others. In other words, depending on what is important to the test giver, not every question would be worth five points. Code items individually are far easier to teach or correct than bad social skills with customers or a lack of interest in safety. imho.

It's not meant to be aced, but rather assess skills in different fields. Someone perfect on the electrical portion but with craptastic customer skills or safety would not be as good to me as someone who did well overall. I still prefer an interview tho as some people dont test well but do great in person, and some who would ace a test have the interpersonal skills of a broken brick. I agree multiple choice would make it easier to take and grade, but do we want that or some insight to how this applicant thinks and approaches problems? Multiple choice also allows for blind guesses and some degree of luck. A test like that would also take a bit of time and weed out the lazy or not serious applicants to a degree.

The OP can always make a test to suit his needs based on the work his company does. Mine was just an example and to show it can be done from scratch fairly quickly and easily. I would do well on the test I made, but probably fail horribly on the electrical questions if it were more commercial and geared toward say hospitals, emergency standby systems, solar or hazardous areas. and an essay answer of "I dont know however I'm willing to learn" says more to me than an incorrect answer of "D".

MNSparky

Occupation
Electrical Contractor - 2023 NEC
I made up a short 10 question test taylored to the type of business we do. Some code, some general knowledge. Not too difficult. I give it to them when they first show up for the interview, along with the application to fill out. It's amazing how it turns a cocky guy into a humble guy.

It's amazing the number of people that miss this question:

"Besides when entering a box, what is the maximum distance between staples when running NM down the side of an exposed stud?"

kwired

Electron manager
Calling previous employers seems more worthwhile then testing to me, even if it wasn't for similar type of work.

Someone already mentioned if you are hiring a licensed position - they should have already passed their license exam. If you are hiring an apprentice - you should expect you or your licensed staff will need to teach them some things. If they don't already have bad habits that can be a good thing, you don't have to break those bad habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.