210.14 AFCI QUESTION (2014 nec)

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
We have an inner office disagreement about 210.14 requirements. Does 210.14 now require the kitchen counter receptacles to be AFCI and GFCI protected?
Also if the garbage disposal, dishwasher, microwave, gas cooktop, etc. are cord connected do they require AFCI protection too?

raider1

Staff member
I am assuming that you meant 210.12 as there is no 210.14.

Under the 2014 NEC Section 210.12 (A) all 120-volt single-phase 15 and 20 ampere branch circuit supplying outlets or devices in kitchen are required to be AFCI protected.

So yes, the counter top receptacles in the kitchen are required to be both AFCI protected and GFCI protected in accordance with 210.8(A)(6)&(7).

Also the garbage disposal receptacle, and dishwasher are required to be AFCI and GFCI protected.

The microwave and gas cooktop receptacles would have to be AFCI protected and may need to be GFCI protected if they fall in one of the locations that also require GFCI protection.

Chris

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Also if the garbage disposal, dishwasher, microwave, gas cooktop, etc. are cord connected do they require AFCI protection too?
The requirement for AFCI in the locations specified in 210.12(A) are for Outlets which means hard wired appliances that are on 15 or 20 Amp 120 Volt branch circuits also must be AFCI protected.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
The requirement for AFCI in the locations specified in 210.12(A) are for Outlets which means hard wired appliances that are on 15 or 20 Amp 120 Volt branch circuits also must be AFCI protected.

I agree, I just want to clarify the cord connected items are required to be AFCI protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.