IR image question

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcram

I want a camera like that!

What's a decent (cheap) one cost?

I have a decent one at 3K, good at 10K and better at 22K. They are typically purchased for a specific trade or "need" in mind. There are many options to choose from and specs run the gamete.

marcram

I'm far from being an IR expert, but I don't see anything 105?F in the image.

If it is, why is 105 'too hot'? Will it start a fire? Melt the insulation? Is the southern US (from Miss to Tex) in trouble today because it's going to get that hot there?

The "pointer" is not measuring the hottest temp in the pic. Where ever the pointer is well, pointing, is that temp with this setting. I wasnt sure if that was hot enough to melt insulation. I also thought it was interresting that a neutral can get hot, I am just a thermographer, not an electrician.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't think I'll be buying one very soon. :roll:

If I may ask a stupid question; Why would the neutral be hot, I thought the neutral didnt carry current.
It's not a stupid question. All of the technical questions and answers about neutrals can be confusing and seem contradictory at times.

The neutral carries current as it tries to keep the load end of the feeder or circuit neutral as close to that of the source end as it can.

If you think about it, all current-carrying conductors really do the same thing. Current has a way of exposing the weakest link in a circuit.

See if this is of any help. I wrote it in response to another neutral question: http://forums.mikeholt.com/showpost.php?p=708650&postcount=4

marcram

I don't think I'll be buying one very soon. :roll:

It's not a stupid question. All of the technical questions and answers about neutrals can be confusing and seem contradictory at times.

The neutral carries current as it tries to keep the load end of the feeder or circuit neutral as close to that of the source end as it can.

If you think about it, all current-carrying conductors really do the same thing. Current has a way of exposing the weakest link in a circuit.

See if this is of any help. I wrote it in response to another neutral question: http://forums.mikeholt.com/showpost.php?p=708650&postcount=4

Great read larry, very helpful. Its funny how reading things such as this makes one realize how much you really "don't" know.
Just wondering..., at what temp will a conductor usually melt? Don't know if it matters but lets just say 14-6AWG, what you might typically see in a residence. Thanks a bunch.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just wondering..., at what temp will a conductor usually melt?
What matters to us is that the insulation has a much lower temperature limit than the copper. Insulation damage is the big limitation in residential wiring, and the greatest fire hazard.

RETRAINDAILY

I was recruited to do IR photos with a insurance guy and 20 amp QOB breakers were running at 70 deg but dialed into the red and needed to be replaced.

it was the hot spot in the panel

I also would recommend they call their Electrician if it was me

kwired

Electron manager
It's in F. A Klixon overload on a dehumidifier compressor that was dropping 3.2V across it at about 4.5A. The contact where the pigtail was spot welded developed a high resistance causing the OL to open/close every few minutes.

SantaFe_3.jpg

SantaFe_1.jpg

I hope the thermal image was not needed to find the problem here;)

zog

I would recommend a certified thermographer.

I agree, this is like a DIY thread. Why is it that someone without an electical license asks a question he gets trampled but amatuer IR scanning by non certifed people seems to be accepted? I just don't get it. Just because you buy a cheap camera does not mean you should be doing IR surveys without the proper training anymore than buying a voltmeter makes you an electrician.

OK, off my soap box now.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I agree, this is like a DIY thread. Why is it that someone without an electical license asks a question he gets trampled but amatuer IR scanning by non certifed people seems to be accepted? I just don't get it. Just because you buy a cheap camera does not mean you should be doing IR surveys without the proper training anymore than buying a voltmeter makes you an electrician.

OK, off my soap box now.

The OP is not a DIYer and explained in his openning post why he is posting here. It would be a good idea to read the whole thread before posting a rude reply aimed at fellow member.

Roger

zog

The OP is not a DIYer and explained in his openning post why he is posting here. It would be a good idea to read the whole thread before posting a rude reply aimed at fellow member.

Roger

I was refering to some of the comments and not the OP, I said this is "like" a DIY thread. Not meant to be rude, but IR scanning should only be done by trained and preferably certifed people. They also need to be qualified per the 70E training requirements and wearing the proper PPE for removing panels and for the scanning.

I did read the whole thread and think your post is more rude and more targeted than my post was.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I was refering to some of the comments and not the OP, I said this is "like" a DIY thread. Not meant to be rude, but IR scanning should only be done by trained and preferably certifed people. They also need to be qualified per the 70E training requirements and wearing the proper PPE for removing panels and for the scanning.
Then you should have used the term "posts" instead of "thread" by saying "this is like a DIY thread" it sure seems as though you are refering to the whole discussion.

I did read the whole thread and think your post is more rude and more targeted than my post was.

I will agree with part of that statement, my post was targeted.

Roger

wptski

It is possible that you may be able to see that bad connection under load if you turned off all the lights.
The other connection on the OL wasn't melted so I checked the voltage drop across the OL which was 3.2V which is way too high but the current seemed normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.