How to inspect? It's new to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

davedottcom

I found the listing for the disconnect lugs today inside of the disconnect cover... they ARE multi-conductor lugs!!! ;)

They are rated for: 1/0 - 750 or (2) 1/0-300

I was also able to get a brand name off of the grounding lugs. BURNDY
I called BURNDY & they don't list them for wet location. :roll:

I'm glad the disco lugs are ok, but I'm going to have to give the overall install a big FAIL! :D

1) Missing Permanent labels on PV Equipment
2) Grnd Lugs not listed for use
3) Grounded (NEG.) Conductor identified incorrectly
4) Ungrounded (POS.) Conductor identified incorrectly

Funny thing is, all (15) of these PV systems I'm inspecting already passed a AHJ inspection! :roll:

davedottcom

Wait a sec... don't you have to have grounding bushing on any service over 250 volts?

The 1st pic I showed was of a 208 V service but now that I think of it, none of the 480 volt systems had them either.

And, YES, a PV system IS considered a service! :)

davedottcom

No, never a service, look at the definition of service in Artcile 100. Services are only provided by utilities.

Nu-uh! :)

Both, AC & DC PV disconnects have to be listed for Service Use.

Why would they be required to be service rated if it's not a service?

davedottcom

Bob, Allow me to correct myself!

690.14 Additional Provisions
Photovoltaic disconnecting means shall comply with 690.14(A) through 690.14(D).
(A) Disconnecting Means The disconnecting means shall not be required to be suitable as service equipment and shall be rated in accordance with 690.17.
A disconnecting means rated in accordance with 690.17 may be used, but it is not required to be marked suitable for use as service equipment.

I would have sworn on my life it said it IS required... :roll:
Sometimes, I think I dream this stuff up!:-?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I found the listing for the disconnect lugs today inside of the disconnect cover... they ARE multi-conductor lugs!

This is the most important item in this 'lug discussion'.

Because these lugs are supplied as part of a manufacturer's assembly, the 'rating/specifications' of the individual lugs is all but immaterial. In general, you cannot simply replace a manufacturer supplied lug with one that meets your needs (although you can usually replace them with similar ones). A listed termination takes into account temperature rise of the entire assembly, wire bending space, and clearances to conductive surfaces.

Individual lug ratings are important when they are being field installed, like in the grounding picture or when being installed on 'generic' lug pads.

tkb

I was taken back by the 3rd picture. What's the deal with the "S" conduitors between disconnects? If they isolated them properly wouldn't that work, in respects to the lug size?

One each side, top to bottom, after I straighten that out, I released they had the wrong circuits in the wrong places...

Did they burn up anything? Your going to tell me they were just incorrectly labeled... :grin:

I think that may be correct for DC.
You double disconnect to minimize an arc under load.

iwire

Staff member
TKBs explanation is what I have heard as well.

As far as the service rated disconnect requirement I think it has to do with service rated disconnects having provisions for GECs and bonding the neutral.

But that is really just a guess.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I didn't really read all of the thread, so if someone already said it I apologize, but I would hope how many wires can be under the lug would be listed on the door of the disconnect.

ty

Is that disconnect rated for DC?
Even with the 'S' jumper, the disconnect still has to be DC rated. Putting the 'S' jumper in an A/C disconnect doesnt necissarily make it D/C rated.

Are you back in PA, yet??

cadpoint

I think that may be correct for DC.
You double disconnect to minimize an arc under load.

Originally Posted by cadpoint
I was taken back by the 3rd picture. What's the deal with the "S" conduitors between disconnects? If they isolated them properly wouldn't that work, in respects to the lug size?

One each side, top to bottom, after I straighten that out, I released they had the wrong circuits in the wrong places...

Did they burn up anything? Your going to tell me they were just incorrectly labeled...

I broke out the Square D Heavy Duty Switches Book 07' 3-4 600 Volt. on that page its nots for DC switchen (A Star-bottom of page) ( * ) "For Switching dc, use two switching poles".

What your looking at in picture three is one pole switched, not two pole switched per manufacture or our standing requirement to break all poles...
Minus the mislabeling of circuits it's Postive and Negative and not ungrounded and grounded.

Thanks Gary...

iwire

Staff member
What your looking at in picture three is one pole switched, not two pole switched per manufacture or our standing requirement to break all poles...
Minus the mislabeling of circuits it's Postive and Negative and not ungrounded and grounded.

With a DC array you will have grounded and ungrounded conductor, it can be positive or negative ground but one leg will be grounded.

As such we do not break the grounded conductor.

cadpoint

With a DC array you will have grounded and ungrounded conductor, it can be positive or negative ground but one leg will be grounded.

As such we do not break the grounded conductor.

That's fine, tell me that picture is not incorrect it only shows one of either a postive or negative broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.