brand of linesman pliers

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
25 years with Kleins. Have tried some others over the years but always go back to the Kleins. :cool:

ohmhead

Well this is my best but i never use them
P1010117.jpg

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
K8MHZ

"Tip:

Grab a piece of uni-strut, the narrow stuff, and lay the flex into it so the sides of the channel hold the flex. (I HATE chasing things around I am trying to cut!) Cut as close to the end of the strut as you can. With practice, in a few short strokes of Mr. Hacksaw, you have near perfect split, just a twist and you have a nice cut.

I have a piece of strut on my cart that I first set up for flex and then found it very useful for steadying any type of conduit."

Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it. I was always taught to cut flex (green field) at a 45 degree angle though.

I cut it at an angle as well. The flex is tall enough to clear the sides of the strut so you can make your angle cut anywhere the flex is sitting in the strut, as you aren't cutting all the way through.

GUNNING

snap snap snip snip oh what a clean cut!

snap snap snip snip oh what a clean cut!

I snap and then clean up the flex with aviator snips or dikes. Used to do the hack saw thing until I started doing my own work for me.

Bend snap snip snip to clean. Wires are fine if you are using bx and you only loose one knuckle not several bleeding knuckles from the unistrut.

JJWalecka

K8MHZ I 'm going to try it out next time I have to cut it. Thanks.

I like a little tape wrapped around the cut end of the flex. Wrapped enough that the tape can be tucked inside to act as a bushing but not too much where the connector doesn't make a good metal on metal connection.

JJWalecka

LarryFine "JJ, they do make bushings, you know."

LOL true but working with two or four inch Greenfield rarely do I have a bushing supplied to me for the installation. File it nice and a little tape works good in a pinch.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I've always used Kleins. I mostly like the traditional D2139NE, I think is the number. I tried 1 of the high leverage models, but too big for my hands and never would break in to work them easily. I traded with a guy who liked them for some reason. He never tired of them. I stayed with the std ones after that. I never much tried other brands. I've seen some that run about $45 at Lowe's. I can't pay that much so I won't be trying them. Don't think I've seen Knipex.

jmellc

Occupation
Speaking of MC and flex, I mostly use my splitter for MC. If it's not handy, I twist open and cut with snips or dikes. I do that on greenfield too, or have also stood on it, pulling tight with left hand. With right hand, cut 1 spiral at 45 degrees and it's done. Trim rough edges with pliers or screwdrivers.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I have Kliens as well, the pair I have now are over 20 years old, I did have to replace the insulation and I slips a little, but I can fix that if I ever feel the need.

A guy needed to bust some nail heads off one time and asked my boss if he had a chisle. My boss handed him his Klien screwdriver and the guy says, no no no, my boss told him not to worry about it. Didn't hardly ding the driver blade and that guy was very impressed.

krisinjersey

I started with Ideal

I started with Ideal

I was a foster kid in a tech school and my shop teacher was an awesome guy. He gave me a bunch of his old tools when I started since I didn't have any parental assistance with funding. I had them for years until the Ideal linesmen had finally had it. I bought a replacement pair and the grips came off in a few weeks. I bumped into a rep at the supply and he wouldn't swap them. That was 15 years ago and I have been all Klein for almost everything since. Right now I carry the Journeyman series because the grip texture is better when my hands are slipery from cutting oil.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I started with a pair of Ideal 15 years ago and have not blown them up yet so they got character. If or when I do blow them up I will probably get klein for no particular reason. (mine have the crimp in the throat)
35-012_lg.jpg

jmellc

Occupation
I meant to mention that I was first taught in high school to call them lineman's pliers. Everywhere I ever worked, most people called them side cutters. A few called them Kleins and one guy called them his 9's, for 9 inch model. I got to thinking that most linemen I saw dealt with larger wire and cut it with bigger cutters. The name probably came from the early days of telegraph linemen. They would have had them to cut telegraph wire. They were for sure smaller than any power lines run today. #2 would generally be smallest power line today wouldn't it? Up to what, 500 MCM?

Did anyone else ever read the Klein literature about Mathias Klein? He started about the 1860's or 1870's, making tools for telegraph linemen. He only did one job halfway. A guy came in with a broken pair of pliers. He forged a replacement for the broken half and put them together. Can't imagine doing such a thing today. Hard to believe that was ever economical.

jmellc

Occupation
I was a foster kid in a tech school and my shop teacher was an awesome guy. He gave me a bunch of his old tools when I started since I didn't have any parental assistance with funding. I had them for years until the Ideal linesmen had finally had it. I bought a replacement pair and the grips came off in a few weeks. I bumped into a rep at the supply and he wouldn't swap them. That was 15 years ago and I have been all Klein for almost everything since. Right now I carry the Journeyman series because the grip texture is better when my hands are slipery from cutting oil.
Are you referring to the classic red grips that you put in hot water before putting on the pliers? They are some of the best grips ever.

Your shop teacher sounds like a good man. He was looking out for you.

Buck Parrish

I found a pair of Colbalt side cutters today. They have a spring that holds it open. They feel pretty good. I jerked the spring out. Next time I get a chance I'll put red handles on them. As thats what I do with most of my side cutters. I have 5 or 6 pairs.

NC-Sparky

Klein Story

Klein Story

After seeing this thread, I thought I would share my Klein story. I can honestly say I have never "bought" a pair of Klein lineman pliers. I "inherited" mine. Let me explain. Around 1970, my father bought a used Farmall tractor to use on our farm. The tractor came with a small toolbox full of various tools, including a pair of 6" Klein lineman's pliers. They had the thick, translucent red insulated handles. After I graduated from High school in 1979, I went to work at a local electrical contractor, and of course needed some tools. Well I collected those Kleins and a few other items from the toolshed and off I went. I used them on my job for over 10 years, amassing a few "injuries" to the metal in a place or two due to unintended "arc welding" on my part. I stopped working in the field around 1990, but they still are in great shape and they are in my old leather tool pouch I keep around the house for projects and fix-its. They still work well. I don't really know exactly how old they are, but I can say they were quality built and they have lasted. I also have a pair of Klein needle-nosed side cutters I rescued from a flooded crawlspace in the mid 80's that were totally covered in rust, which I cleaned up, and they are in my tool pouch as well, still working. THanks for reading.

JohnE

Are you referring to the classic red grips that you put in hot water before putting on the pliers? They are some of the best grips ever.

Your shop teacher sounds like a good man. He was looking out for you.

The journeyman series grips are about the same size as those dark red water activated grips but are much softer. I used to use the ones you referred to.

On another note I was excited to try the Knipex version. I was a little disappointed when I blew them up the first day on a remodel. Grabbed a 220 line instead of the romex I knew was dead. Blew them apart good. And it was the last pair the supply house had and they do not stock them anymore.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.