evaporation Temperature ecoguide

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecoguide

One concern I have experience is oil over silicon grease. I put both of these compounds on an oscillating fan, but the out come were the same. The compound evaporated quite fast, turning the instrument off. I touch the metal on motor body of the fan, it was real hot. The thermal fuse did not pop. I believe that the oil nor the silicon grease have no effect on thermal run-away.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
One concern I have experience is oil over silicon grease. I put both of these compounds on an oscillating fan, but the out come were the same. The compound evaporated quite fast, turning the instrument off. I touch the metal on motor body of the fan, it was real hot. The thermal fuse did not pop. I believe that the oil nor the silicon grease have no effect on thermal run-away.

If the excess heat in a motor is the result of an internal short, no amount of lubrication on the bearings will have any effect on the motor temperature.
Maybe if you operate the motor in an oil bath with heat sink fins the temp will be kept lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.