No NEC on CD-ROM in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

That sucks. I like the Folio view a lot better than Adobe.
I 100% disagree, and said so in the survey the NFPA sent me - blame me.... ;)

Anyway - depending on the protections of the PDF - it may be easier, and more intuitive to search, as well as cut/copy/paste.

I hated folio...

e57

Bryon,

This is all about money. They don't want people copying the CD's and giving them to other people who have not paid for the material.
It's free on-line and will continue to be... And my state publishes it with ammendments in PDF - available free.... (As a code only - not handbook)

480sparky

I 100% disagree, and said so in the survey the NFPA sent me - blame me.... ;)

Anyway - depending on the protections of the PDF - it may be easier, and more intuitive to search, as well as cut/copy/paste.

I hated folio...

At least with Folio, if I searched for a word or phrase, I would get a list of every occurrence in the book, and the Article, Section, Subsection, etc listed. So I could jump right to Art. 517 if that's my first inclination.

With Adobe, I just get the first instance highlighted, and have to scroll hit by hit until I find what I need.

e57

At least with Folio, if I searched for a word or phrase, I would get a list of every occurrence in the book, and the Article, Section, Subsection, etc listed. So I could jump right to Art. 517 if that's my first inclination.

With Adobe, I just get the first instance highlighted, and have to scroll hit by hit until I find what I need.
Depending on how a document was put into PDF - you can open bookmarks - and search from any point. And depending on document rights, if you right click on the tool bar - then click 'more tools'.

But for other fun....
Hit "Shift+Ctrl+F" Another window will open, giving summery of every hit. And seach every document on your computer.

speedypetey

That sucks. I like the Folio view a lot better than Adobe.
And I 100% agree!

I hate the .pdf for anything more than looking things up like in the book old school style.

The Folio view also included links everywhere to other articles referenced, which is one of my favorite features. You can link to a referenced section and then hit "link back" to right back where you were.

Not offering the Folio CD is a HUGE step backwards in my (so very pissed off) opinion.

speedypetey

It's free on-line and will continue to be... And my state publishes it with ammendments in PDF - available free.... (As a code only - not handbook)
So if the .pdf is available free, and the CD cost pennies to make yet they charge a bunch for it, WHAT could the nearsighted logic be for not offering it???

I don't buy the "Waaaaaaa...everyone is copying it" theory. They are making MORE than enough on the damn thing that even if four people copied the thing they would still be making a big profit on it each one.

Even so....there are a limited number of installs. So the copying issue is null.

I wish I had heard about this earlier that maybe I could have given some input.
WTF nfpa???? We are NOT happy about this!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Even so....there are a limited number of installs. So the copying issue is null.

It is true that there are a limited number of installs per CD. I believe it is 2, however you can actually copy the cd and it will work as a pdf. Yes, I know, it is free anyway. They should just eliminate the free version online.

It is a dang shame since the search feature on the CD is a wonderful asset to having the digital code.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I think I tried buying the 2008 in PDF from the NFPA. The stupid Internet check-in procedure didn't work. Each time that it worked for a little while ane quit, I had to download the NEC all over again, which was wildly inconvenient while using dial-up, as I was then. I ended up just getting a refund in the end.

I think I'll probably just have to Shunk my next digital copy, probably just do it myself. :roll:

stevenje

I replied to the NFPA with the following question and comment:
"Any idea yet what the cost of this PDF version might be?

I hate to hear that the CD format will no longer be available. I found it most useful."

And received the following reply:
"The PDF versions are the same price as the printed. I understand your disappointment not being able to purchase the CD any longer. I apologize for any inconvenience."

Maybe if enough users voice their displeasure...?

Has anybody asked the NFPA WHY they will not be offering the CD format?
It would be nice to know the real reason.

stevenje

I guess it could be worse. They could have only offered the 2011 NEC on stone tablets. But the upside is that you get a free ohms law abacus with every order! :roll:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Sound like the same folks that decide what to adopt it are now in charge of distribution :grin:

cadpoint

The NFPA might have their hands tied due to contract law pertaining to the terms they excepted to release the use of the good book and the software...OWAG :roll:

Point is they own the content not the software.

I guess it not a problem for everyone - I've used the PDF version for years. Copy, paste, search work just fine. The CD was a pain, and the pirating was un-acceptable. If you can't afford a copy of the code you are doing something wrong. Get over it and buy the PDF.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Maybe if they quit giving 400 lb of unwanted junk mail with every order, they could afford to give a CD-ROM. I bet they could even lower the price.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I love it, make the rules and we have to buy them to use them; put them on the web we will find a way to DL. them for use.

I just made new rules for driving that will be used all over the U.S., send me $75 in a brown paper bag and I'll get 'em right out to you!

480sparky

I love it, make the rules and we have to buy them to use them; put them on the web we will find a way to DL. them for use.

The NFPA does not require us to use their rules. They never have. (And what is DL?)

I just made new rules for driving that will be used all over the U.S., send me $75 in a brown paper bag and I'll get 'em right out to you!

I just made up new rules governing brown paper bags. Send me $1,000 in a manila envelope for each paper bag you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.