Spacing between items in a gang

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG2V

Hi,
Newbie here, and I only semi-industry related

I'm looking for the OFFICIAL distance between center lines in a gang of electrical devices - say in a set of ganged gems, or 2 devices side by side in a Handi box. When I measure it, it seems to come out in a multiple of 1/128ths of an inch, but that would be 'odd' to say the least

For extra credit <grin> how did they come up with the number?

I've been tasked to come up with this to machine some parts that will be used to make stuff for the industry

billsnuff

Switchplates Dimensions
Regular Switchplates (top left above) are a standard 4-1/2" high (unless Oversize - see below) and 3/16" deep. One gang plates are 2-3/4" W, two gangs are 4-1/2", three gangs are 6-3/8", four gangs are 8-3/16", five gangs are 10" and six gangs are 11-13/16". (Gang is the term for width positions.) "Toggle" openings are 13/32" x 15/16" high. "Decora" openings in the all the plates are 1-5/16" x 2-19/32". "Outlets" have two rounded openings that are 1-1/8" h x 1-11/32" across at their widest. "Despard" openings are flat top and bottom and rounded on the sides and are 11/16" H x 29/32" W at the widest point. Switchplate openings are 1-13/16" apart, center to center, from gang to gang.[/QUOTE]

KG2V

I'm with Dennis............ get a 2g cover and a ruler.

did that before I asked, and the plates I had seemed slightly "off" - probably mfg tolerances. When the client says "I want 6 gang, and I want a TOTAL tolerance from end to end of +- .005", just measuring with a ruler does NOT quite cut it

That said, it seems (asked a couple of sources) that the offical number IS 1-13/16, which works for me. I'll run that by the customer as a spec, and see what he says

Status
Not open for further replies.