Splice in post

Status
Not open for further replies.

jute

Hello,
I have (17) 6' post lights That I'm replaing. When I pulled up the new post they have pvc going up the center of the post and spliced which I know is not up to code per art 410.15 (b) (I think the art # is right but I don't have a code book here). I'm trying to find out the best way to correct this and really don't want to put a box next to each one...Any other suggestions??? Thanks, Jerry

jute

Wanted to throw in these are 3" od x 2 mil thick post can I cut in a hand hole cover in this small of post and if so where would get the cover?

mcclary's electrical

Hello,
I have (17) 6' post lights That I'm replaing. When I pulled up the new post they have pvc going up the center of the post and spliced which I know is not up to code per art 410.15 (b) (I think the art # is right but I don't have a code book here). I'm trying to find out the best way to correct this and really don't want to put a box next to each one...Any other suggestions??? Thanks, Jerry

Are you saying he wire is spliced inside the pvc? If so, I would just replace it with longer wire

cadpoint

First off, I wouldn?t cut anything into this light. The light should be listed for wet location as should your wire, your wire should just extend up to the top of the post (assuming that?s where the lamp is).

You can consider the shaft of the lamp as a raceway.

Hopefully there is a little bit of conduit (PVC) above finish grade! During construction about 4? above grade, and usually cut down to 1.5 to 1 foot.

The Code Article is 410.10 ? 08?, you can seal the conduit once the wire in, but a conduit in the ground will almost always make or draw in condensation.

I must be missing something here, your making more work for yourself, just make a go of it!

jute

On my way to the property shortly but what I was truing to explain is after the existing post was removed I have (2) pvc pipes that stick up out of the ground about 3'. I have a splice at the end of the pvv where the wires were continued up to the post lIght. I can't have a splice inside a post and I didn't want to put j boxes next to the post for the connections and was trying to put a hand hole in the post instead and cut the pvc pipe down to access the wires. I will take pics and post later this morning once I get out there and get things going...Thanks for the replys, JB

Last edited:

mcclary's electrical

On my way to the property shortly but what I was truing to explain is after the existing post was removed I have (2) pvc pipes that stick up out of the ground about 3'. I have a splice at the end of the pvv where the wires were continued up to the post lIght. I can't have a splice inside a post and I didn't want to put j boxes next to the post for the connections and was trying to put a hand hole in the post instead and cut the pvc pipe down to access the wires. I will take pics and post later this morning once I get out there and get things going...Thanks for the replys, JB

By the description, It would be legal to have a joint inside the pole raceway

raider1

Staff member
By the description, It would be legal to have a joint inside the pole raceway

Not according to 410.30(B) Exception #1 (2008 section number).

410.30(B) permits a pole 8' or less in height to support a luminaire and be used as a raceway without a handhole provided that the supply wiring method continues without splice or pull point, and where the interior of the pole and any splices are accessible by removing the luminare.

Chris

mcclary's electrical

Not according to 410.30(B) Exception #1 (2008 section number).

410.30(B) permits a pole 8' or less in height to support a luminaire and be used as a raceway without a handhole provided that the supply wiring method continues without splice or pull point, and where the interior of the pole and any splices are accessible by removing the luminare.

Chris

Chris, I'm on 05 so I assume my reference would be 410.15 (b) exception

I read it differently than you

I read it this way:

No hand hole shall be required in a pole 8 ft of less in height above grade where the supply wiring continues without splice point or pull point.

IMO, meaning, the entire inside is now open to splices, since the factory did not give you a splice point or pull point.

THe next sentence seems to confirm that:
AND where the interior of the pole AND ANY SPLICES are accessible by removing the pole.

I normally see things in the same light as you,but not n this case
These chep 6' poles often come with whips hanging to the base and you make a wirenut joint there.

raider1

Staff member
If the splices are accessible when the luminare is removed then it would be OK but if the splices are not accessible by removing the luminare such as the splices being at the bottom of the pole it would be a violation IMHO.

Chris

iwire

Staff member
If the splices are accessible when the luminare is removed then it would be OK but if the splices are not accessible by removing the luminare such as the splices being at the bottom of the pole it would be a violation IMHO.

Chris

I agree with Chris 100%.

mcclary's electrical

Chris

Chris, I would agree with that, but it's dodging my point, yet confiriming it.
THe lights I'm speaking of,,,,and by the ops description, I think the ones he's speaking are simmilar,,,,the post is the luminaire. It's all one piece, and when removed, the joints will be accessible.

An exple on one that would be perfectly legal to have joints inside the pole:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_262469-17771-4094BK_4294857033_4294937087?productId=3029106&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__4294857033_4294937087_?rpp=15$No=15$identifier=

raider1

Staff member
Chris, I would agree with that, but it's dodging my point, yet confiriming it.
THe lights I'm speaking of,,,,and by the ops description, I think the ones he's speaking are simmilar,,,,the post is the luminaire. It's all one piece, and when removed, the joints will be accessible.

An exple on one that would be perfectly legal to have joints inside the pole:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_262469-17771-4094BK_4294857033_4294937087?productId=3029106&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__4294857033_4294937087_?rpp=15$No=15$identifier=

The pole is NOT part of the luminare, it is a support and allowed to be used as a raceway.

410.30 is specifically talking about separate poles that support luminares.

Exception #1 permits a pole to support a luminare without a handhole provided that the splices are accessible when the luminaire is removed.

Chris

Chris

iwire

Staff member

mcclary's electrical

Yes, perfectly legal to splice in the pole if the splices can be accessed by removing just the fixture from the pole.

The item you link to is a fixture and a pole not just a fixture.

Ok both of you all successfully dodged my point by using my example against me.

I didn't look at the link close(the site is down right now),,,,but the point is,,,there are PLENTY of those kinds of lights that DO NOT COME off the pole, the whips are prefished, and reach the base.

mxslick

Danger Will Robinson!!

Danger Will Robinson!!

Back to what the OP wants to do: He mentioned cutting in a handhole...DON'T do it without an ok in writing from the pole manufacturer. You could weaken the pole structurally and would be held liable if it were to break or fail.

The OP is not clear (to me anyway) as to if the conduits are INSIDE the pole or outside.

If inside, the only compliant way I see is for the wire runs in EACH conduit be re-pulled and made long enough to reach the top of the pole for splicing.

If outside, a w/p box and cover then nippled to the pole.

dicklaxt

How about adding a custom 6 or 8 inch spool piece with a handhole and make it part of the foundation,you would have to shorten the two stub ups & add bushings.

Tell your client this is necessary to bring the installation up to current codes and give him a $ adder :)

I too agree with this originally being a violation if the conductors did not extend all the way to the fixture.IMHO

dick

iwire

Staff member
Ok both of you all successfully dodged my point by using my example against me.

I didn't look at the link close(the site is down right now),,,,but the point is,,,there are PLENTY of those kinds of lights that DO NOT COME off the pole, the whips are prefished, and reach the base.

Never seen one and do not understand how it would be installed.

Can you show us one?

mxslick

6' pole?

Won't that weaken the pole? ;)

Height doesn't matter much, a handhole-sized cutout is removing a lot of metal. I wouldn't do it.

And a 7/8" hole for a nipple is a lot less likely to weaken a pole enough to fail. :roll:

In today's lawsuit and point the finger of blame society I wouldn't do ANY of those mods without a WRITTEN ok from the pole manufacturer.

iwire

Staff member
In today's lawsuit and point the finger of blame society I wouldn't do ANY of those mods without a WRITTEN ok from the pole manufacturer.

Glad I do not live in a state of fear, I would not get anything accomplished.

While I would not cut a handhole in a 20' pole I would cut a 6' pole without a second thought. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.