Disconnecting means for a food waste disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where does the NEC allow a single pole toggle switch as the disconnecting means for a disposal?
The only disconnecting means I see are the branch circuit overcurrent device, the branch circuit switch, a cord-and-plug, an attachment fitting, and a unit switch. Many electricians run power to a toggle switch and then run romex from the toggle switch straight into the intragal junction box on the disposal.

Last edited:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
A cord and plug is considered a disconnecting device, see (H). But if, as you say, they have wired right into the disposal and are not using a cord and plug, then C applies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
A cord and plug is considered a disconnecting device, see (H). But if, as you say, they have wired right into the disposal and are not using a cord and plug, then C applies.

If the GD is cord and plug connected, I don't think the NEC even requires a wall switch. It does not make sense, but one can turn ON/OFF the GD by plugging and unplugging it.

I could be wrong.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
How is a switch on the counter within sight of the motor? It isn't so technically it is a violation to directly wire a disposal with a switch above the counter.

MNSparky

Occupation
Electrical Contractor - 2023 NEC
How is a switch on the counter within sight of the motor? It isn't so technically it is a violation to directly wire a disposal with a switch above the counter.

The OP didn't say anything about it being on the counter. A lot of times we wire them with the switch just inside the door under the sink to avoid the extra switch on the backsplash.

I do see your point, though. I don't think I've ever wired one without a cord and receptacle.

Here's another one I've wondered about: disconnect switch for a furnace mounted on the backside of the furnace. Not within sight of the door where one would work on it, but its actually attached to the equipment. Compliant?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist

Never thought about it that way. :thumbsup: Good point.

jumper

If the GD is cord and plug connected, I don't think the NEC even requires a wall switch. It does not make sense, but one can turn ON/OFF the GD by plugging and unplugging it.

I could be wrong.

I think you may be. I do not see this being allowed in 430.81 or 430.83.

A wall switch may not be the only type of controller allowed, but the cord and plug on a GD would not be allowed as the controller AFAICT.

lordofthisworld

Where does in the code it says you can’t use a switch above the counter to turn off and on a GD? I would think a switch next to the sink and with having the disposal under the sink is with in sight but I guess thats up to the inspector to decide.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I think you may be. I do not see this being allowed in 430.81 or 430.83.

A wall switch may not be the only type of controller allowed, but the cord and plug on a GD would not be allowed as the controller AFAICT.

I see your point.

kwired

Electron manager
I know of one plumber that could actually crawl completely into a average sink base cabinet to make up his connections in there, I suppose for him it is not within sight. I am not going to fit in there, if I do, I will be so crammed in there I'm not going to be working on anything - so I don't know it applies as much to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.