Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEC and Abandoned Conduit/Wire

NEC and Abandoned Conduit/Wire

Does NEC have any requirement for removing abandoned conduit, which does or does not have any wire in the conduit?

I'm ask because I'm expecting a debate to come up with an installation. The requirement is to replace an existing fire alarm system with a new system while the old system remains operational.

The client doesn't want to pay to remove the old conduit, wire, junction boxes etc. All he wants is to remove the old devices, control panel, and any exposed conduit, which might otherwise look ascetically displeasing. Wires would be rolled back above the ceiling into an old junction box and cover installed, but that's about it.
    Regards,
    Dan Marr

"Real world Knowledge isn't dropped from a parachute in the sky but rather acquired in tiny increments from a variety of sources including panic and curiosity."

The NEC will not require the conduit to be removed.

Does NEC 2008 actually require in all cases that the wires be removed from an abandon circuit or raceway? The only reference that I am aware of is in art. 372.13, but this article seems to be specific to cellular floor raceways.

760.2 requires the remove of abondon cables

If there is a rule to remove old wires then I don't know of it. Often times there are spare circuits run in conduit.

There's lots of requirements in Chapter 8 to remove abandoned cables, but they don't apply to line-voltage wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Bea View Post
    760.2 requires the remove of abondon cables
    Unless they are identified / tagged for future use.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    There's lots of requirements in Chapter 8 to remove abandoned cables, but they don't apply to line-voltage wiring.
    Yes, that is why I said wires and not cables- plus the OP was asking about conduit so....:grin:

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Unless they are identified / tagged for future use.

Roger
    But 760.2 does not state it is to be removed. It's just stating that it is abandoned if not identified for future use. I don't think it has to be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Yes, that is why I said wires and not cables- plus the OP was asking about conduit so....:grin:
    I don't see any where in the code that says you have to remove the old conduit. To me it is no different than having a spare conduit to use in the future. Now if it's a cosmetic issue, it seems to me that that would fall back on the G.C. or the building owner.