SCADA Communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

timm333

Occupation
Electrical Design Engineer
Just trying to figure out the typical connection between power system protective-relays and SCADA using fiber optic cables. One end of fiber optic cable can be connected to the output of the protective-relay; can the other end be connected directly to SCADA? Or should other components [media converter, SDH (synchronous digital hierarchy), OFMR (optical fiber management rack), DVM (data and voice multiplexer), etc.] be inserted in between protective-relay and SCADA? Thanks for help.

Bugman1400

Just trying to figure out the typical connection between power system protective-relays and SCADA using fiber optic cables. One end of fiber optic cable can be connected to the output of the protective-relay; can the other end be connected directly to SCADA? Or should other components [media converter, SDH (synchronous digital hierarchy), OFMR (optical fiber management rack), DVM (data and voice multiplexer), etc.] be inserted in between protective-relay and SCADA? Thanks for help.
Obviously, it depends on the SCADA interface. I'm assuming a local interface. Some of them do provide an FO connection (usually ST). If your SCADA interface only provides a serial connection then you'll need a converter.

timm333

Occupation
Actually I'm told that one fiber optic cable would go directly to SCADA for testing purpose, and the other would go to SCADA through media converters, SDH, etc. I don't have much experience with communication systems, so I thought I should it discuss with you guys.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Actually I'm told that one fiber optic cable would go directly to SCADA for testing purpose, and the other would go to SCADA through media converters, SDH, etc. I don't have much experience with communication systems, so I thought I should it discuss with you guys.

The signals TX/RX on fiber optic come from what ever your scada uses, RS232, Modbus, Ethernet, via a convertor box that changes the signals into or reads, light pulses.
Most common system is ethernet/IP.
And there are different types of fiber optic cables, multimode for short (up to 2KM) and single mode, perhaps 80 Km.

timm333

Occupation
What is the difference between 820 nm, 850 nm, 1300 nm, 1310 nm, IEEE-C37 820 nm, IEEE-C37 1300 nm, serial communication, G.703, and IEC 61850?

I know 820 nm is for cabes of upto 1.5 km lengths, but other tahn that it is not clear. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.