Inspector said MC cable needs to be secured every 6 feet running inside metal studs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

He said to use tie wire and drill a hole and tie it down to the stud. Is there any code that says you have to do this? Thank you for your help. P.S. When I say running inside studs I mean horizontally, through the existing holes.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Dave. I wonder if this inspector ever pulled MC cable. :roll:

Before I would waste time drilling holes and using tie wire I would just buy these:

ERICOIE00291_143_PM_003.jpg

https://www.gordonelectricsupply.co...h~qdx~0~ID~,Voice.Data,Cable.Support,dept-1NY

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Tell the inspector there is a difference between being supported and being secured. Drilled holes or metal stud holes are supporting the wire. This inspector is not the only one who has thought that it needed to be done this way. If he/she thinks about it then he/she will see it makes no sense to do what he is asking

Shanex702x

He said to use tie wire and drill a hole and tie it down to the stud. Is there any code that says you have to do this? Thank you for your help. P.S. When I say running inside studs I mean horizontally, through the existing holes.

How far are these studs spread? They should be within every 6', those holes count as a support for horizontal... if you want to show him something cool, have him pull mc the wrong way thru those studs and see if he gives you trouble after... what an incredibly pain that would be if that were true... sorry guys I'm Shane, new to forum long time electrician, studying to become a contractor now.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician

Does your inspectors jurisdiction not require the inspector to cite the code article you are violating? This would put a stop to this nonsense in a hurry.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The reference I gave says that the holes in the studs count as securing and supporting.
I understand that 330.30(C) says that. However, under 330.30(B) which is titled "Securing" it does not say that. Perhaps the inspector just needs reminded of what 330.30(C) says. :happyyes:

iwire

Staff member
I understand that 330.30(C) says that. However, under 330.30(B) which is titled "Securing" it does not say that. Perhaps the inspector just needs reminded of what 330.30(C) says. :happyyes:

The securing part comes into play when we get to the box so I see Dave's point as important.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The securing part comes into play when we get to the box so I see Dave's point as important.
Here are the pertinent subsections...

(B) Securing. Unless otherwise provided, cables shall be secured
at intervals not exceeding 1.8 m (6 ft). Cables containing
four or fewer conductors sized no larger than 10 AWG
shall be secured within 300 mm (12 in.) of every box, cabinet,
fitting, or other cable termination. In vertical installations,
listed cables with ungrounded conductors 250 kcmil and
larger shall be permitted to be secured at intervals not exceeding
3 m (10 ft).

(C) Supporting.
Unless otherwise provided, cables shall
be supported at intervals not exceeding 1.8 m (6 ft).
Horizontal runs of Type MC cable installed in wooden
or metal framing members or similar supporting means
shall be considered supported and secured where such support
does not exceed 1.8-m (6-ft) intervals.

So how do you see the statement in (C) as affecting the requirement in (B) to secure within 12 in.? Must we secure within 12 in. always, even when the run is horizontal through a stud within 6 ft. Can we forego any other type securing?

Why is there no statement in (B)?

iwire

Staff member
Here are the pertinent subsections...

So how do you see the statement in (C) as affecting the requirement in (B) to secure within 12 in.? Must we secure within 12 in. always, even when the run is horizontal through a stud within 6 ft. Can we forego any other type securing?

Why is there no statement in (B)?

I have no interest in making this a long thread, forget I said anything.

zappy

Thanks everyone for the help. I found out that's just his preference and my foreman didn't want to argue with him. Lol

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Thanks everyone for the help. I found out that's just his preference and my foreman didn't want to argue with him. Lol
The horizontal support and secure clause was introduced in the 1999 NEC as 334-10(A)(1). I recall wiring a WalMart store prior to that cycle and having to secure the MC every fourth stud in all the walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.