Power Integrity

Status
Not open for further replies.

gndrod

Anyone ever use the ZTAH-01 Hard-Wired Surge Suppressor?

Looks like a pretty good unit, comments please.

Hey Lou, I picked up a Belkin unit about 6 months ago that is similar to the ZTAP but with a higher 330V let-in for point of use but does not have the gas discharge neon. With the lower 200V pk, I think that the point of use sensitive protection would be more desirable.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The feed-through feature, which most suppressors don't have, seems to include filtering, which helps a bit with electronic comnponents. It's not real current-limiting, but it's an improvement.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
Compare specifications carefully between units you are considering.
NOTE how they specify:
Dynamic clamping: 200 Vpk + 5% (minimum value at 1.0 mA)

gndrod mentioned another product Let-Through voltage that was higher.
These specifications are not apples to apples.

Clamping of 200V pk as a minimum value at 1 ma is nothing like testing let-through voltage when applying a 500A pulse.

Ref: http://downloads.eatonelectrical.ca/downloads/Transient%20Voltage%20Surge%20Supp/Tech%20Data/TVSS%20UL%20spec%201449.pdf

Whats a capacitive discharge pule :)

hardworkingstiff

Man I feel ignorant. I appreciate the comments, but I can't tell if y'all are saying yes this appears to be a good unit, high end unit, or just a run of the mill good sales literature unit.

I listened to these guys about 10 years ago (product seemed good) and they have a lot of exposure to the service station market. A company I used to work for pushed them hard, but I don't know if their product is as good as they say and I don't have the education to know. :mad:

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
Lou,
I do not have direct experience with the unit you pointed to and I do not routinely purchase or install surge suppressors. I tend to rely on specification comparisions in cases where I am not directly familiar with the products.
Hopefully someone else here has some direct experience they can share with you.

Here is a link to another possibility for spec comparision:
http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=97

If you compare the specifications on this unit to the one you originally posted I would chose the tripplite. In particular look at the the joule ratings. Of course you have to look at cost as well. There are so many options out there to choose from.
I suggest you establish what it is you are willing to spend and then look for several units that fit the budget and compare the specs.
It is always a red flag to me when the brochure does not include all relavent specifications or substitutes one that is just there to make the product sound good.

Status
Not open for further replies.