Outdoor Ceiling Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Can a ceiling fan under a covered porch be your normal ceiling fan or does it have to be damp or wet location rated?

Fast1911

the fan should be rated for it's intended use and location, a normal ceiling fan does not have plastic blades and stainless hardware like an outdoor rated fan, i would recommend an outdoor fan to prevent warping of blades and premature fan failure, just my opinion

Ruff-N

the fan should be rated for it's intended use and location, a normal ceiling fan does not have plastic blades and stainless hardware like an outdoor rated fan, i would recommend an outdoor fan to prevent warping of blades and premature fan failure, just my opinion

I agree. Why make things complicated do a good job and the rewards are many, do a sorry job and you can expect never to be hired to do work for customer-X and his or her friends, word of mouth goes a long way be it positive or negative, eventually your out on the streets begging for food and money living under some bridge with a three legged half blind dog named lucky. JM2cW:)

jumper

The fan would have to be rated for a damp location at minimum.

Chris

I agree, but I cannot find this in 430. I can find this in 410 Luminaire Locations

410.10 Luminaires in Specific Locations.
(A) Wet and Damp Locations. Luminaires installed in
wet or damp locations shall be installed such that water
cannot enter or accumulate in wiring compartments, lampholders,
or other electrical parts. All luminaires installed in
wet locations shall be marked, ?Suitable for Wet Locations.?
All luminaires installed in damp locations shall be
marked ?Suitable for Wet Locations? or ?Suitable for
Damp Locations.?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Unless you live in an area with no humidity, you will find that the blades will sag rather quickly on a normal fan with wood blades, usually takes a couple of months to a year, depending on the amount of humidity.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
So I guess it would be safe to say you couldnt install a ceiling fan in a large bathroom without it being damp or wet location rated although the other fixtures in the room may not be.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I agree. Why make things complicated do a good job and the rewards are many, do a sorry job and you can expect never to be hired to do work for customer-X and his or her friends, word of mouth goes a long way be it positive or negative, eventually your out on the streets begging for food and money living under some bridge with a three legged half blind dog named lucky. JM2cW:)

Or you become an inspector.:D

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
So I guess it would be safe to say you couldnt install a ceiling fan in a large bathroom without it being damp or wet location rated although the other fixtures in the room may not be.

I would not consider a bathroom, other than the shower area, a damp location.

chicar

I installed a ceiling fan on my front porch that has an awning around it. Strong winds with rain would still get the fan wet. This is one reason why it is important to have a wet or damp location fan. Tell me, who would put a ceiling fan in a bathroom? I remodeled my bath and installed a quiet exhaust fan with a timer control to take care of moisture as well as taking a dump.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I installed a ceiling fan on my front porch that has an awning around it. Strong winds with rain would still get the fan wet. This is one reason why it is important to have a wet or damp location fan. Tell me, who would put a ceiling fan in a bathroom? I remodeled my bath and installed a quiet exhaust fan with a timer control to take care of moisture as well as taking a dump.

Just because no one does,does no mean there's nothing to keep someone from installing a ceiling fan in a bathroom where there is steam and moisture present almost daily.
Would you be required to put an outdoor fan in the bathroom, if someone wanted one?
Does the fact that it would be installed in a bathroom make it different than if it were installed under a covered porch?
I would think not.
If so we would have to have in-use covers over the receptacle outlets:)

pete m.

Just because no one does,does no mean there's nothing to keep someone from installing a ceiling fan in a bathroom where there is steam and moisture present almost daily.
Would you be required to put an outdoor fan in the bathroom, if someone wanted one?
Does the fact that it would be installed in a bathroom make it different than if it were installed under a covered porch?
I would think not.
If so we would have to have in-use covers over the receptacle outlets:)

I don't think that the NEC would require a ceiling fan rated for damp locations in a bathroom although, as you mentioned, steam and moisture will most likely be present. This is not to say that the blades of the fan (as well as other components) may not last.

By definition I don't think a bathroom is a damp location. I suppose that ultimately it is the AHJ's call as to whether the bathroom would be considered a "damp location". I know that around this area the bathroom is not looked at as such.

Pete

jap

Occupation
Electrician
By definition I don't think a bathroom is a damp location. I suppose that ultimately it is the AHJ's call as to whether the bathroom would be considered a "damp location". I know that around this area the bathroom is not looked at as such.

Pete[/QUOTE]

I agree.

raider1

Staff member

Pete

A bathroom is not a damp location, but outside under a covered porch is.

Location, Damp. Locations protected from the weather and not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but subject to moderate degrees of moisture. Examples of such locations include partially protected locations under canopies, marquees, roofed open porches, and like locations, and interior locations subject to moderate degrees of moisture, such as some basements, some barns, and some cold-storage warehouses.

Chris

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I've hung paddle fans in bathrooms. (at least 2 jobs, maybe more). There was a good reason:

I got paid to do it.

Jim W in Tampa

Will suggest you let customer supply the fan. Even the ones rated for outdoor will warp in FL. Seen it happen and it turns ugly fast. Even plastic blades warp in heat and if you supply it is your problem for a year. They warp then are out of balance and wobble.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
A bathroom is not a damp location, but outside under a covered porch is.

Quote:
Location, Damp. Locations protected from the weather and not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but subject to moderate degrees of moisture. Examples of such locations include partially protected locations under canopies, marquees, roofed open porches, and like locations, and interior locations subject to moderate degrees of moisture, such as some basements, some barns, and some cold-storage warehouses.

Chris

Hmm, Seems like a bathroom would fit perfectly in this definition also.
just doesnt seem right that you would have to install a damp rated fan under a covered porch when you wouldnt have to in a bathroom.

Oh well I'll let this one rest.

Jap.

Status
Not open for further replies.