SABC Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't know, I do know my own kitchen has one 20 amp SABC that runs everything and my wife sometimes trips it when using an electric grill and the toaster oven. :grin:
I recommend calling a licensed electrician. :cool:

Oh, I agree with the not-on-the-SABC crew.

Jim W in Tampa

I don't know, I do know my own kitchen has one 20 amp SABC that runs everything and my wife sometimes trips it when using an electric grill and the toaster oven. :grin:

Why not put a 30 amp breaker on it. LOL
Will assume your house is very old to have that problem. Would not fix it if not causing major issues.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
What's really needed is education of the general public on this issue.

If they fully realized the threat to home, health and safety they were exposing themselves, and their children to by wanting to use the SABC for something non-portable or below the counter top they wouldn't do it.

hurk27

If they fully realized the threat to home, health and safety they were exposing themselves, and their children to by wanting to use the SABC for something non-portable or below the counter top they wouldn't do it.

tell me what is the worst that could happen with a fixed in place appliance on a SABC circuit?

The only thing I see is the breaker will trip if and when the circuit is over loaded?

Sure the code doesn't allow it today, but there was a time it was, and I have seen many older houses where the whole kitchen was on one 15 amp circuit, and been that way for years, the home owner had to keep many box's of fuses handy, but the place never burned down?

This is just one of those code requirements that is more of a design issue to stop un-necessary tripping of breakers that the NEC says it doesn't do in 90.1(B) and (C):roll:

Or it could be a design issue to stop DYS from installing a higher rated breaker then the circuit is rated for? but who knows:cool:

Last edited:

Jim W in Tampa

While i agree it is not allowed by NEC this is one area that i see no shock,fire or hazard.
It needs to be this way to avoid problems. I was unaware that my pig was on a small appliance but not going to change it.
Often NEC goes bit further than needed.

iwire

Staff member

I sure hope you are kidding.:confused:

iwire

Staff member
Why not put a 30 amp breaker on it. LOL
Will assume your house is very old to have that problem. Would not fix it if not causing major issues.

It is old, when I moved in the kitchen only had one 15 amp circuit.

Major issues?

I guess my idea of a major issue is a little more dramatic then a breaker tripping once in a while.:)

Mulrooney

no other outlets

no other outlets

the two or more small appliance branch circuits specified in 210.52(b)(1) shall have no other outlets. A disposal outlet is not specified and therefore can not be on the SABC.
It can be on the same circuit that supplies the sink light. Thats the best way to do it. Feeds already there, just switch outlet from there.

iwire

Staff member
For the discussion, it's an outlet for the use of the disposal.

Understood, and that still makes no difference.

The only thing that stops us from putting a cord connected pig on the SABC is the fact under the counter is not a location mentioned for the SABCs

M. D.

Jim, can I plug a fixed in place under cabinet light into the SABC?

Most ,.if not all,. the under cabinet plug in lights that I have seen have key hole slots ,. just like the strip type relocatable power taps they are not permanently fixed in place..

jwelectric

Gee, we better ask Mike Whitt. :grin:

Oh this one is so easy.

The SABCs are to serve wall and counter space. I think it has been debated before that a receptacle on the inside the cabinet cannot serve as a wall receptacle. If it is going to serve the countertop it must comply with 210.52(C)(5) not more than 12 inches down or more than 20 inches above. Being it is below and more than 12 inches it is totally out of the question. From the disposal to the receptacle above the countertop is more than three feet it can?t be plugged in there either.

I bet no one has thought about any of this yet. :grin::grin::grin:

rosebud

What is a SABC

What is a SABC

I feel really dense here. The only thing I can come up with is "South Africa Brocasting Company". I can usually figure out the acronyms, but not this one. What pray tell is a SABC.
Please educate me.

May God Always Be With You and Your Family!

Status
Not open for further replies.