Site survey set backs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAP

Doing a site survey on a commercial roof. On the solar pro website it states that on commercial roof tops" a minimum of 6' clear perimeter around edges of commercial roof tops that are larger then 250' by 250'. I understand that part the next sentence on that article I don't understand. "However, if either axis of the roof is 250 feet are less then the system designer can reduce the clear perimeter around edge of roof to 4' thanks

Fire code.

I read it as:
251 x 250 = 6 foot.
250 x 250 (or less) = 4 foot
251 x 200 = 6 foot

605.11.3.3.1 Access.
There shall be a minimum 6 foot (1,829 mm) wide clear perimeter around the edges of the roof.
Exception:
If either axis of the building is 250 feet (76,200 mm) or less, there shall be a minimum 4 foot (1,290 mm) wide clear perimeter around the edges of the roof.

http://sonomacounty.ca.gov/FES/Fire...ew-Construction-Permits/Photovoltaic-Systems/

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
So 400' x 250' = 4 feet but 251' x 251 = 6 feet?

Ok, I'll agree it says that, but it does seem odd.

I kind of agree. It would make more sense if it just said something like "for roof with total areas of less than 60,000 square ft, a 4ft setback is allowed". Or to not make it ridiculous for odd shaped roofs, 'where the sum of the two longest axes is less than 500ft', except that would probably also confuse the hell out of people.

SoniaFraser

New User
Occupation
Dentist
Fire code.

I read it as:
251 x 250 = 6 foot.
250 x 250 (or less) = 4 foot
251 x 200 = 6 foot

605.11.3.3.1 Access.
There shall be a minimum 6 foot (1,829 mm) wide clear perimeter around the edges of the roof.
Exception:
If either axis of the building is 250 feet (76,200 mm) or less, there shall be a minimum 4 foot (1,290 mm) wide clear perimeter around the edges of the roof.

http://sonomacounty.ca.gov/FES/Fire...ew-Construction-Permits/Photovoltaic-Systems/
pretty logical, this variant seems to be right

Status
Not open for further replies.