AHU Service receptacle/light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

Is it common to specify a light/receptacle for suspended ceiling Air Handler units? Would it be suitable to use a receptacle below the ceiling given it is within 25' of the AHU?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You need to have the recep. on the same level as the equipment and within 25' -- art. 210.63. Art. 210.70(C) would req. lighting but don't think it's necessary for suspended ceiling.

Npstewart

I couldn't find that, thanks for the code reference. Do you know what it means by "same level"? Would this mean on the same floor?

mcclary's electrical

You need to have the recep. on the same level as the equipment and within 25' -- art. 210.63. Art. 210.70(C) would req. lighting but don't think it's necessary for suspended ceiling.

What if it's a one story building, ten foot ceilings, but dropped ceiling to 8 foot? Is that the same level in your opinion Dennis?

I've met inspectors that required seperate receptacles above the ceiling, and others inspectors would simply let you make one below the ceiling a GFI and call it the service receptacle.

skeshesh

What if it's a one story building, ten foot ceilings, but dropped ceiling to 8 foot? Is that the same level in your opinion Dennis?

I've met inspectors that required seperate receptacles above the ceiling, and others inspectors would simply let you make one below the ceiling a GFI and call it the service receptacle.

If you're trying to define "level" as "story" or "floor", what difference does it make if it is a one story building? Using that definition you could argue the same point if you were on the 10th floor, claiming that the equipment and the receptacle are on the same "level" and use a below ceiling GFI as service recept as you described. IMO ceiling space is a seperate level and does require a service receptacle.

mcclary's electrical

If you're trying to define "level" as "story" or "floor", what difference does it make if it is a one story building? Using that definition you could argue the same point if you were on the 10th floor, claiming that the equipment and the receptacle are on the same "level" and use a below ceiling GFI as service recept as you described. IMO ceiling space is a seperate level and does require a service receptacle.

That's what I'm saying, same floor, same level. The ceiling does not change a thing. The receptacle below can be the service receptacle

electricmanscott

I would agree that in the ceiling would be on the same level.

I don't see a requirement that the receptacle need be GFCI protected unless it is located in one of the areas listed in 210.8

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
IMO ceiling space is a seperate level and does require a service receptacle.

No, the same level basically means the same floor. Above the ceiling would not be a separate level. A rooftop would be a separate level.

The intenet is to provide a service receptacle for HVAC service. A receptacle below the ceiling would work just as well as one above the ceiling as long as its within the 25' reach of an extension cord.

Steve

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

The problem is with the term level. The code does not define this but I was thinking the intent was to not have cords running thru the same area as the access being used.

If this were a 10' ceiling as you stated and the ceiling was dropped and not an accoustical ceiling but sheetrock with an access door, then I would say you need a light and a receptacle up above. Why? Because it feels like an attic and for all intents and purposes it is.

If the code meant floor level then they sould say on the same floor. Unfortunately it is not an easy interpretation. I would install a recep. in the ceiling and also a light but it is clear to me that a re-write of this is necessary.

jumper

The problem is with the term level. The code does not define this but I was thinking the intent was to not have cords running thru the same area as the access being used.

If this were a 10' ceiling as you stated and the ceiling was dropped and not an accoustical ceiling but sheetrock with an access door, then I would say you need a light and a receptacle up above. Why? Because it feels like an attic and for all intents and purposes it is.

If the code meant floor level then they sould say on the same floor. Unfortunately it is not an easy interpretation. I would install a recep. in the ceiling and also a light but it is clear to me that a re-write of this is necessary.

I agree. If I am on a ladder, I do not think I am on the same level as the floor on which it sets.

mcclary's electrical

Framed and drywalled, yes, that needs a receptacle and light. Drop ceiling, no receptacle, no light. As for GFI, I really thought that was a requirement, but now I can't find it in writing. Seems it's something I assumed, and wasted money on. Every attic that I've ever had an airhandler in, I always have installed a GFI for service receptacle, now maybe I should rethink that

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I think the general idea behind this code section was just to make sure HVAC service people had a receptacle they could use when servicing equipment - something to keep them from using a cheater cord tied into the HVAC disconnect for a receptacle.

For a suspended ceiling, I don't see how a receptacle above the ceiling grid would work any better than one at ,say, 18" AFF.

I think the term "level" was basically meant to mean any level a person could walk or stand on. So any floor would be a level, and so would a roof, or an attic. I don't think a suspended ceiling (unless it provides enough suppport to walk or stand on) would count as an additional level.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Framed and drywalled, yes, that needs a receptacle and light. Drop ceiling, no receptacle, no light.

You may be right but this is your opinion and not necessarily code. My point was what difference is there in a dropped ceiling as opposed to a sheetrock ceiling-- the level does not change. For all intents and purpose they are the same.

I think this needs to be addressed better in future codes. Obviously we have many opinions here at MH so it can't be that clear.

Npstewart

and I thought this was orignally a stupid question...sometimes the simplest things in the code turn out to be the most controversial.

Status
Not open for further replies.