occupancy sensors vs ceiling fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Customer wants occ sensors installed in rooms with ceiling fans ie. large workout room (gym) in HOA clubhouse and lounge area. I believe due to the shape and size of the rooms I will need ceiling mounted sensors. However they seem to be picking up the motion from the fans and will not turn off the lights. Does anyone know of a solution for this problem?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Customer wants occ sensors installed in rooms with ceiling fans ie. large workout room (gym) in HOA clubhouse and lounge area. I believe due to the shape and size of the rooms I will need ceiling mounted sensors. However they seem to be picking up the motion from the fans and will not turn off the lights. Does anyone know of a solution for this problem?

Check the installation instructions for the sensor's field of view. It will be some kind of cone. What you need to do is mount the sensor far enough from the fan(s) so the blades are out of its field of view.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Sometimes they come with segmented/adjustable shields to where you can hide the movement of the fans from the cone-of-detection.

Status
Not open for further replies.