Concrete floor box

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

What are you guys on here typically installing for a power/data point in the floor what kind of boxes. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

iwire

Staff member
Any brand, square, round or rectangular as long as the base is plastic so you trim it to the right height after the concreate cures.

tkb

Any brand, square, round or rectangular as long as the base is plastic so you trim it to the right height after the concreate cures.

Round if it is going in a floor with tile and grout lines.
Round always lines up with the grouting.

There's all diffrent floor box kits. It's just a round or square box ,cut into the floor with a cover on it. Any local supply house has them.

nickelec

No I'm not doing the cutting but im looking for a one box system that has a barrier already installed so I can feed one box with 2 conduits and be done with it

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
TKB and I are electrians, we don't install tile. :cool:

I installed one of these boxes recently. I made it clear to the tile installer that he must not overlap the edges of my box or the cover won't fit on. Went back a couple days later to trim it and sure enough he covered a tiny bit of one side. Looked too small to get out the diamond router so I tried to chip it off with my pliers. It chipped off alright, along with a bit more tile surface than the cover plate would cover. :jawdrop: I'm waiting for the homeowner to get back from vacation to find out how much it's going to cost me.

tkb

The tile guys probably prefer to make straight cuts to fit their tiles instead of arcs of circles.
Will you be doing the cutting?

I don't worry about making it easy for the tile guy. I worry about the look of the finished product. It is almost impossible to line up a square box with grout lines when you are installing a floor box in the dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.