Light switch outside of room

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOOL_5150

I have a room that the entry door is a double pocket door, and it takes up the whole wall. Can the switch for the light in that room [the study] be located outside of the room, or does it have to be in the room?

~Matt

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It can be anywhere you want unless required to be there by some other code. The NEC doesn't specify a location as this is a design issue.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You could put a switch on the nearest side wall, or even use a shallow box within the pocket space.

How about a motion sesnor, maybe centered over the doors, or in the above-mentioned side wall?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
How about taking a lesson from the refrigerator? Put a limit switch on both sides of the pocket doors, such that the act of opening either door turns on the light, and closing both doors turns off the light.

TOOL_5150

How about taking a lesson from the refrigerator? Put a limit switch on both sides of the pocket doors, such that the act of opening either door turns on the light, and closing both doors turns off the light.

Wont work too well if they want to read a book in peace with the doors shut :)

Thanks for your input fellas!

~Matt

stickboy1375

0002136384000_215X215.jpg

:)

Just use a low voltage switch and a relay, and they it is all class-2 wiring that can easily be hidden. The switch itself can be a glorified surface mount doorbell.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
It can be anywhere you want unless required to be there by some other code. The NEC doesn't specify a location as this is a design issue.

if the NEC does not design, than how come they tell you where to place outlets in dwelling as opposed to commercial bldg.? I think this goes on the list with color coding 120/208v (black red blue) and 277/480v (brown orange yellow), IMHO.

Last edited:

Buck Parrish

I have a room that the entry door is a double pocket door, and it takes up the whole wall. Can the switch for the light in that room [the study] be located outside of the room, or does it have to be in the room?

~Matt

An RF switching controller would be good if thier paying.

Electric-Light

You could put a switch on the nearest side wall, or even use a shallow box within the pocket space.

How about a motion sesnor, maybe centered over the doors, or in the above-mentioned side wall?

He can use it to turn it off, but not to turn it on. He is in California, so I don't believe automatic-on motion detector switch comply with California title 24 energy code.

Status
Not open for further replies.