Feeder Taps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We're having an issue with an inspector on a service upgrade we're doing. The original install was a 480v 200A meterbase nippled into a 200A fused SR transfer switch that fed one 200A MB panel in the center of the building. The conduit runs underground below a slab and comes up in rigid conduit directly into the panel(probably 50' of wire).

We've since upgraded that to a CT can with a 400A breakered SR transfer switch and refed that existing panel as well as added another 200A panel directly behind the transfer switch.

240.21(B)5 allows unlimited length taps OUTSIDE a building. The inspector does not consider a conduit running under a slab outside even though 230.6 defines it for services, there is no such article for feeders that I've seen. My bosses argument is since it's okay for unfused service wires, that it should definitely be okay for fused feeder conductors.

Any ideas? My boss really doesn't feel like fighting it, so we may end up installing a disconnect immediately adjacent to the transfer switch as a last resort.

M. D.

I don't get it ? if they are feeders then they are load side of disconnect ,. if they are load side of disconnect then the OCPD needs to either be a part of the disconnect or immdeatly adjacent thereto. No?

M. D.

Oooops,.. I get it now...hmmm I'd say under the building is not in the building ...This guy is splitting hairs.. probably a member here;)

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Anyone else?

Just to make it clear, is a 200A feeder tapped from a 400A breaker ran under a concrete slab into a building meet the requirements of 240.21(B)5?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think conductors considered to be "outside the building" as defined in 230.6 would apply to feeders, only to services.

Status
Not open for further replies.