Code Outlet Spacing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan-0

According to 210.52

... oReceptacles shall be installed so that no point measured horizontally along the floor line
in any wall space is more than 6 feet from a receptacle outlet

• Wall space is defined as:
Any space 2 feet or more in width ...​

I see it said all over (the 'net) that a plug must be placed in any wall 2' or more in length. In my reading of the code, that is somewhat of a misnomer. I read it to mean that any wall 2' or more in length, is considered wall space.

So, if one had an alcove consisting of three 24" walls (something like |_|), only one outlet would be required within that spacing as long as there was a outlet within 12' of that location. Otherwise it would be quite odd (in my estimation) to have three outlets crammed in this small space.

Am I correct in my understanding?

Hopefully this is clearer than mud.

TYIA
:)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You get to count around corners. In your situation, you essentially have a single "wall space" that is 6 feet long. Since it is at least 2 feet long, it needs at least one receptacle. Once you select a place for that one, anywhere else along the same wall space cannot be more than 6 feet from a receptacle. In your example, one receptacle anywhere in the alcove would suffice. If the alcove had three 5 foot walls in the same U shape you depicted, a single outlet in the center of the center wall would be 7.5 feet from each of the two edges of the other two walls. That would exceed the 6 foot limit. You could put one outlet in the center of each of the two side walls, and the farthest any point along the wall space would be from a receptacle would be the point in the center of the center wall. It would be 5 feet along the floor line from each of the two receptacles. That is acceptable.

JFletcher

You are correct that you would only need one receptacle in that U shaped wall space. Also, columns are not walls, so say you have a drywalled column 8" on each side, 32" perimeter. You do not have to stick a receptacle in there. It's done often in commercial as a matter of convenience, or drawings, but it's not required.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... If the alcove had three 5 foot walls in the same U shape you depicted, a single outlet in the center of the center wall would be 7.5 feet from each of the two edges of the other two walls. That would exceed the 6 foot limit. ...
This assumes the wall breaks on both sides of the U shape. If the wall space continues (something like this __|̅ ̅ ̅ ̅|__) you could place receptacles on the front walls up to 4.5 feet from the outside corners if there is a receptacle in the center of the alcove's back wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.