Inventive ways to catch unpermitted work

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

I was in a code update class today for my ceu's. We got on the subject of unlicensed, unpermitted work taking away from legit contractors and such. There was a guy there that is a SC contractor but also holds a NC license. He said there was a beach town that he dose a lot of work in and the city has it set up with the trash collectors that if they see any work being done on residential property and they report it and it turns out to be unpermitted work they give the trash collector $50.00 for each incident. The city then goes out and puts a stop work order on the property and then charges the HO twice the permit amount.

480sparky

How do they verify there's actually unpermited work being done?

You can't just fine someone for leaving construction debris on the curb......... maybe they just decided to clean out the garage/basement and get rid of the stuff they 'saved' years ago.

jumper

On a similar note, I called for an inspection for some framing and electrical on my screen porch and my neighbor was building an unpermitted deck. The inspector popped him after he was done with me. The dude has to tear it out and start over.

BTW, I passed electrical, but my stairs were off. Gotta redo them.:mad:

mcclary's electrical

How do they verify there's actually unpermited work being done?

You can't just fine someone for leaving construction debris on the curb......... maybe they just decided to clean out the garage/basement and get rid of the stuff they 'saved' years ago.

You know as well as I do that it is not hard to spot construction.

That's how I get some of my work, seeing it in progress, stopping and dropping cards.

I too, like the idea. I'm gonna try and get it started here

480sparky

You know as well as I do that it is not hard to spot construction...........

Spotting it is one thing.

Fining them and being able to make it stick in court is quite another.

I have plenty of scrap drywall, lumber, etc. laying around the house, just for emergency fix-its. If I set it out one day for the trash collector, would I expect to get fined?

c2500

I have heard....but have no proof that the trash guys in Greenville, SC will also get a "reward" for letting the inspectors know about unpermitted work. Given that the city has let go/relocated several inspectors, I suspect there will be more of this going on. I passed by a job on a main road daily, in a residential area, that was not permitted, and it took 3 calls and 2.5 weeks to get them to do something about it. I am talking a 40 yard dumpster, the house being gutted, cast iron drain lines sitting out in the front yard, etc. I finally got the plumbing guy to go by and bust them. I figure if I have to play by the rules, so can everyone else. Oh, and lets not forget the blatant federal violations due to no lead safe work practices.

c2500

c2500

On a similar note, I called for an inspection for some framing and electrical on my screen porch and my neighbor was building an unpermitted deck. The inspector popped him after he was done with me. The dude has to tear it out and start over.

BTW, I passed electrical, but my stairs were off. Gotta redo them.:mad:

At my old house, my next door neighbor was busted after I had an inspection...was kinda funny actually.

satcom

Many of the local contractors, and not just electrical, will turn in non permit work, they don't need trash busters, they feel as many do if they have to play by the rules, so should everyone else, if they see any activity that looks like illegal work, they turn them in, no fifty bucks needed.

ceb58

Spotting it is one thing.

Fining them and being able to make it stick in court is quite another.

I have plenty of scrap drywall, lumber, etc. laying around the house, just for emergency fix-its. If I set it out one day for the trash collector, would I expect to get fined?

You know as well as I do that it is not hard to spot construction.

I agree it is not hard to spot construction going on. I can only guess that the collector would turn in an address. Then they could pull it up on computer to see if permits had been issued for that address.

jumper

At my old house, my next door neighbor was busted after I had an inspection...was kinda funny actually.

It is so silly, a DIY HO tries to save a dime and loses a dollar.

Permits here are pretty cheap. $37.50 for first $1000 and $15 for each $1000 after that up to $10,000.

I paid a whole $67.50 to build a 350 sq. ft. porch. Mason got his own permit.

The old trick of "you get the permit, and I will do the work" does not fly around here either. The last time I was in his office he popped a HO who got a permit and than hired a handyman to do the work.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
It is so silly, a DIY HO tries to save a dime and loses a dollar.

Permits here are pretty cheap. $37.50 for first $1000 and $15 for each $1000 after that up to $10,000.

I paid a whole $67.50 to build a 350 sq. ft. porch. Mason got his own permit.

The old trick of "you get the permit, and I will do the work" does not fly around here either. The last time I was in his office he popped a HO who got a permit and than hired a handyman to do the work.

Some localities, the city apparently hates contractors and homeowners alike. Getting the permit even for a small simple job is a painstaking. I permitted two light poles that the city was REQUIRING the landlord to install, but yet we had to jump through numerous hoops and took two months of plan review to get it approved.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I agree it is not hard to spot construction going on. I can only guess that the collector would turn in an address. Then they could pull it up on computer to see if permits had been issued for that address.
That is not enough for a fine. You would have to be able to see the work being done from outside the property line or the inspector would have to get a search warrant. I doubt that finding construction debris in the garbage would be enough probable cause for a judge to issue the warrant.

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
A few years ago I saw an inspector hiding in a neighbors yard waiting for a guy to start changing a water heater. A soon as the guy put a pipe wrench on the union the inspector busted him. He got a fine and the permit department held up his permit. I don't know how long they held up the permit but by law they could hold it for up to 6 months.

Last edited:

arits74

Occupation
working owner electrician
A few years ago I saw an inspector hiding in a neighbors yard waiting for a guy to start changing a water heater. A soon as the guy put a pipe wrench on the union the inspector busted him. He got a fine and the permit department held up his permit. I don't know how long they held up the permit but by law they could hold it for up tp 6 months.
he should not have to get a permit of any kind to change a water heater,whats next,a permit to replace a refrigerator?

ceb58

That is not enough for a fine. You would have to be able to see the work being done from outside the property line or the inspector would have to get a search warrant. I doubt that finding construction debris in the garbage would be enough probable cause for a judge to issue the warrant.

Don, no one mentioned construction debris in the trash. It is very doubtful that the regular trash pick up would even touch it if were left by the curb. The point was if they saw construction taking place IE: decks built, additions started and such as the eye could see then they would report it for permit verification.

he should not have to get a permit of any kind to change a water heater

And why not? If it is part of the local inspection department rules that a permit must be pulled and the work inspected then that is what is supposed to be done. It is hard to think something as simple as changing a water heater out would need inspecting but there are more things to conceder aside from the electrical aspect. It needs to be verified that (especialy if on city or county water system) that any and all back flow prevention is in place. This is for the health of all that are served by that water system.

sd4524

Live Free or Die nhfire77.
Man in San Diego a ton of work goes on unpermitted and only a few times have I seen people get turned in. I have done a few major remodels in high rise condos where homeowner turns 2 condos right next to each other into one and doesn't get a permit. Nobody in the building ever turns them in.
The gutsiest move I saw was an old historic home that got completely gutted and remodeled. The ho was still getting some sweet tax break because its a historic home. The contractor just set up shop like they got a permit. Huge dumpsters in the front yard, signs, etc. I'm pretty sure they never got caught and it was in a busy neighborhood.
I would like to see more regulation out here but spying on people just aint right.

Status
Not open for further replies.