Shower head in sauna help

Status
Not open for further replies.

e2me2

I installed a 220v sauna heater in a sauna room at A RESIDENCE the inspector told me no gfi protection was needed. He came inspected installation passed it and my job is done. However the homeowner had me over today to hook up 2 lights previously wired into room (Yes they are fully enclosed vapor tight) when I got there I now see the owner has installed a shower head in the sauna. I have obvious concerns as to me this is now a shower and there is a 220 line voltage not gfi protected just a few feet away. The heater is not by any means water tight and although the heater is designed to have water poured over the rocks in the unit I still find it hard to fathom how you can not get electrocuted .Now with the shower in there my concern is if your showering and touch the heater zap or if water on floor and water splash unit touch zap. I suggested to the homeowner at the very least
He should put a gfi breaker on the unit but I?m not sure that is even the right answer. Any comments greatly appreciated

mcclary's electrical

I installed a 220v sauna heater in a sauna room at A RESIDENCE the inspector told me no gfi protection was needed. He came inspected installation passed it and my job is done. However the homeowner had me over today to hook up 2 lights previously wired into room (Yes they are fully enclosed vapor tight) when I got there I now see the owner has installed a shower head in the sauna. I have obvious concerns as to me this is now a shower and there is a 220 line voltage not gfi protected just a few feet away. The heater is not by any means water tight and although the heater is designed to have water poured over the rocks in the unit I still find it hard to fathom how you can not get electrocuted .Now with the shower in there my concern is if your showering and touch the heater zap or if water on floor and water splash unit touch zap. I suggested to the homeowner at the very least
He should put a gfi breaker on the unit but I?m not sure that is even the right answer. Any comments greatly appreciated

I think I would install a GFI 240 volt breaker and forget about it:D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would tell the HO that the heater will not last under these conditions and I don't think they are rated for wet location--:). I would also let the inspection department know about it to CYA.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I would sell the HO on a 2-pole GFCI breaker! (should be an easy sell) This is a win-win for all involved! (and more money for you!):)
A GFCI would help the unit from rusting out. If it isn't rated wet location then it is a violation with or without a GFCI

mxslick

I wouldn't get involved any more unless you insist on the HO filing a permit and/or getting a re-inspection. (In my area plumbing requires inspections, as would hooking up those lights you mentioned.) All this "after the inspection" changes makes me think the HO KNOWS that it is wrong and is trying to hide it.

You are leaving yourself open to HUGE liability if you do anything else (even the GFCI breaker as it was pointed out that the sauna heater is NOT listed for wet locations.)

Tough call..but I would either advise the HO of the hazard and violation (and make them sign a written statement acknowledging that fact) or I would make a call to the inspector.

Things like this are the #1 reason I wouldn't touch resi jobs. :grin:

M. D.

I can't imagine the heater is acceptable for use in a shower. I can't even imagine a sauna being acceptable for use as a shower.

This sounds awfully screwy.

op said:
The heater is not by any means water tight and although the heater is designed to have water poured over the rocks in the unit I still find it hard to fathom how you can not get electrocuted

I'v been in a couple of saunas everything gets wet drenched in fact ....I'm with Scott awfully screwy..

e2me2

I would tell the HO that the heater will not last under these conditions and I don't think they are rated for wet location--:). I would also let the inspection department know about it to CYA.

I have informed the homeowner I would install a gfi breaker for free if he provided it.I do have concerns about this but not going to install a 150$ breaker at my expence. Also not sure of what everyone is talking about the heater is designed to have water poured over it so I guesss the whole wet location is not going to hurt the heater any Im more concerned about the people. I futher wonder even minus the shower head how can a heater which is listed and ul approved have water poured over it and not water tight not kill someone at some point

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Also not sure of what everyone is talking about the heater is designed to have water poured over it so I guesss the whole wet location is not going to hurt the heater any Im more concerned about the people.
So this is a wet sauna/ I have never wired one of them. Around here they are dry saunas. It may be fine and still not need any gfci protection. I would call the sauna manufacturer to be certain.

e2me2

So this is a wet sauna/ I have never wired one of them. Around here they are dry saunas. It may be fine and still not need any gfci protection. I would call the sauna manufacturer to be certain.
The sauna heater is designed to have water laddled over the rocks on the upper part of heater it is not by any means a sealed electrical compartment though

http://www.thesaunadepot.com/pdfs/Saunacore_stove_manual.pdf

The instalation instructions even state do not place shower head over unit But does not say cant be in same area

Last edited:

M. D.

Well I'll be dipped ,.. I guess as long as the shower head is not above the unit (here's where the debate will be ,.as it does not say " directly above ") your good to go I'd still still want to gfci protect it .. but then again we are allowed wet location rated light fixtures in a shower stall without GFCI Protection.

cadpoint

What is the the material of the bowl that the spray is misting into, your basicially working in a wet plain, or creating one.

The drain line is a possible problem and the copper water lines, bond everything together. If it's tile you could be dealing with the mat grating.

Not all sauna's are made of wood.

I'd frankly bond everything together I didn't say send it home and GFCI the circuit that is servicing it.

mpd

I would be very careful doing anything, if installing the shower head is not part of the listing of the unit, installing GFCI protection is not the answer, i would contact the electrical inspector just to cover yourself

jwelectric

Looks a bit different from what the OP states. It looks like you have a separate area for the shower.

FWIW I am not sure a GFCI is needed.

mine is self contained all in one area or room if you like. The difference between his and mine is my generator is under the bathroom sink instead of being a hand pour.

I guess what I am trying to say is I see no harm with the shower head being in there with the steam generator

Status
Not open for further replies.