5+2 thermostat vs 7 day thermostat = software lock? Can you hack it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric-Light

There are four parts to a thermostat.

Sensor
user interface
computer
system interface (relay or or solid state relay)

If you get the 5+2 version of Honeywell thermostat, all the features are already there, like adaptive learning control which learns the characteristics of your system over time, so it can calculate when to start up the system to reach the desired temperature based on current temperature, set time and system's dT/dt characteristics it learns.

Memory is really cheap these days and I can't see 7 days vs 3 days (one set for M-F and Sat and Sun) makes any real difference.

Am I right to guess that 5+2 is software locked so they can sell 7 day version for more? Is there anyway to change the settings via hidden menu or RS-232C?

cadpoint

For what's it's worth my Honeywell is not smart 5 + 2; it's programmed, Temp set and per hour per day it all needs to be programmed, there is no smart's or learned aspect to my device it's 10 years old... not the new stuff.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
For what's it's worth my Honeywell is not smart 5 + 2; it's programmed, Temp set and per hour per day it all needs to be programmed, there is no smart's or learned aspect to my device it's 10 years old... not the new stuff.

Even the 10 year old one should be equipped with adaptive learning.

Say you program it for 6 AM, it 'learns' how long before 6 AM it has to start the equipment to reach temp without overshooting it by 6AM.

wptski

Even the 10 year old one should be equipped with adaptive learning.

Say you program it for 6 AM, it 'learns' how long before 6 AM it has to start the equipment to reach temp without overshooting it by 6AM.
I bought a certain model because I wanted a programable fan cycle and I have a single stage system. I tried using that function and it came ON way too early. I called their Tech Support and was told its primary use is for a two stage system. For single stage just have it come ON thirty minutes or early!

Electric-Light

Any word on upgrading cheapest model to add features by changing some parameters or reflashing it with a ROM file for the high end model?

Hopefully its just a few parameters rather than something that loses all the factory calibration.

cadpoint

Any word on upgrading cheapest model to add features by changing some parameters or reflashing it with a ROM file for the high end model?

Hopefully its just a few parameters rather than something that loses all the factory calibration.

I thought the thing was self contained, if it has all those bells and whistles yes by all means make it work for you. I guess I frankly didn't realize the T-stat was so smart these days, I know some larger and costly unit have some commication access. My real thought is that the brand doesn't want you joe public or you in there software and it not as smart as a Blackberry or Pod interface ready!

I also can't grasp flashing over the memory that sounds so 90ish, and what are U going to reseat it with. Just because that device is as smart as it is, doesn't act think like your think or do what you want; doesn't mean that you can't work with-in it's limits.

Bob, your probably right for what the OP is saying my T-stat is just a little smarter than my coffee pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.